Front brake upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK, so when I replaced the pads on the front of my Malibu a few months back I had an issue. I didn't have any C-clamps to compress the caliper with. So I had to mickey mouse it with some vice grips. So that wasn't a good idea, my calipers seem to stick a bit. And wore my pads down way fast.

I was just planning on replacing them, getting some new pads, and be done with it. But then I thought, why not upgrade some stuff while I'm at it. So here are my questions:

1- Is there any other GM cars that I can take the disks and calipers from and bolt them up to my Malibu? I have 15" steelies, and would like to put something bigger than the factory ones.

2- What is the largest disk set up I can fit behind a 25" steelie?

3- Is this even worth it, or should I just replace with factory parts and wait untill I can afford aftermarket ones?

4- Has anyone on here done a front brake upgrade this way? If so, how did it go, and did it make a difference?

5- Any other suggestions?

Without going to a bigger wheel than a 15", you could do an f/b-body spindle swap which gets you either an 11" or 12" front brake upgrade. The downside to this swap is the spindle being taller (which is good for handling) is that it requires a differant upper a-arm. The Hotchkis or Global West arms are needed due to the taller spindle. These arms are in the $500+ range. The f-body spindle will allow a stock caliper and 11" disc. If you find a b-body wagon spindle, you can run a 12" disc and swap in the 1LE f-body rotor to get back to the g-body 4.75" wheel stud spacing rather than the bigger 12" b-body 5" spacing. Some b-body cars had the 11" brakes and the 4.75" spacing. The bad part of this besides the price of the upper arms is the bump-steer problems the spindles creates.

Another cheaper option would be to upgrade to a better aftermarket caliper like the SSBC setup. Bolts on just like the stock cailper but it also uses the stock rotor, so all you end up upgrading is the calipers. You could also do drilled/slotted rotors but you're still left with the stock sized 10.5" rotors.

If you decide to go up in size on your wheels to 17", then you can get an adapter bracket for the g-body spindle to upgrade to a C5 Vette rotor/caliper. 13" rotor and PBR caliper (same as a Baer setup :wink: )

Now if you happen to want to go to 18" wheels, I think you can use the same bracket to go up to a C6 ZO6 Vette setup which will get you massive 14" rotors and a 6 piston caliper!

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions. I plan to stick with 15s I think. I like the stock steelie/dog dish look. Maybe I'll just upgrade my calipers, until I can afford new control arms (planned on getting a set for the front in the next year anyway). I recently seen an add from Canadian Tire for some kind of brake job that upgrades the calipers and rotors. Maybe I'll look into that too and see if it's any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor