Front/Engine Compartment Aftermarket Wheel Tubs

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Curious if anyone or how many are using some sort of aftermarket front wheel tubs in their engine compartment?

Lowering can find front tire height limitations pretty quick. 'Plus-One' larger diameter set-ups are typically wider @ the same time so they'll challenge for space as well. The combination of both can def be a challenge.

As I push forward w/my low budget approach, I'm wondering what others have done. Share your story, details, & pics if you have something others might benefit from.

• Agree
Reactions: Rktpwrd
I remember there was a company that made an "extension" of the inside lip of the fender. Giving more clearance in that area, which I feel needs those most help for aggressive setups.
There is also these but they are not budget. lol
I have also seen some that pop up every now and then but the guy makes them in small batches.

Edit: this is the part I’m referring to. Can’t see to find the company
IMG_7541.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember there was a company that made an "extension" of the inside lip of the fender. Giving more clearance in that area, which I feel needs those most help for aggressive setups.
There is also these but they are not budget. lol
I have also seen some that pop up every now and then but the guy makes them in small batches.

Edit: this is the part I’m referring to. Can’t see to find the company
View attachment 247708
In my google searches earlier this week, I found the Spoolfool products. Agreed, spendy.

While a nice product for sure, they don't work on g-bodys that don't utilize that type of fender assembly (= doesn't work for Malibus, Monte's, or 'Bu based wagons). One other thing I noted was they don't seem to offer much more (if any?) added clearance on top. They are slightly lighter (<1lb each diff vs OE pieces I recall was mentioned in his video).

• Agree
I have seen a few times where people have used trailer fenders in place of the inner wheel well
1729894675048.png

• Agree
Reactions: Rktpwrd and scoti
Old thread

That's how mine started life. To get coverage to the frame & ~3" taller than the OE units @ the spindle C/L..
I didn't see where you mentioned a vehicle which would affect any aftermarket model specific applications.

Reactions: Streetbu
I didn't see where you mentioned a vehicle which would affect any aftermarket model specific applications.
Understood. I didn't mention vehicle specific because I wanted to open the possible options since you never know what others have done w/modifying said vehicle specific parts.

I actually played around with the possible idea of cutting up a Malibu inner skin & then utilizing the other models' skin for the vertical attachment arrangement. My thought was set it up that way but with things raised higher vs OE placement.

That being said, the buy-in on those Spoolfool pieces nixed it. That's a lot of dough to spend on parts that you're very likely going to end up cutting/modifying to work in a fashion they were never intended for (taller ceiling vs OE placement). The steel trailer fenders were 1/5 of the cost. If ideas w/them didn't pan out, it's easier to live w/that smaller loss.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor