G-body carburetor fuel tank sock strainer replacement for Delco TS1000 (GM 5651702).

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've only got ONE sock. Other one was lost in the dryer somewhere. It went to the HOZONE. Which, if anyone lived way back when, was an actual Sniglet, which is any word that doesn't exsist in the dictionary, but should. Hozone- “the place where one sock in every laundry load disappears to.”

I'm starting to make "Dad Jokes". I'm going to be that guy on the Progressive insurance commercials about becoming his parents. First, I'm yelling at the kids on my lawn, then at the clouds, and now, sock jokes.

Enough of that. I've got 3 G-bodies. I've got 1 sock in stock. Technically speaking, there are more socks, but they're already on their "feet", as I have two 25001613 sending units that come complete with sock installed, rubber gasket and new locking ring in the box.

In preparing to drop the 87 442 tank, I'm looking to at LEAST replace the sock, and looking around, I see that there are no socks available. At least for a reasonable price. GM p/n 5651702, aka Delco TS1000. If I have to replace the entire unit, then I'll be ready for that, too.

So checking the specs of the TS1000 sock, it is 4-5/16" long, and the hole is for 3/8" tubing. It's nominally about 0.360" roughly which means a fairly tight fit for the tubing.

Scoping the interwebs, the closest I could find was a 3/8" x 5.00" long sock. Ok, what's 11/16" length difference? Not much really. Found them at Jeg's for fairly cheap. #78538 for the part number. The opening for the tube was a tad larger than the Delco one, probably due to the stamping of the hole. It's got more of a flanged hole than a stamped through hole. Hard to describe, but there are slits in the flange that is pushed in during the stamping on the Jeg's unit but not on the Delco. The Delco seems to be a hair better on quality. But for the price point, the Jeg's unit looks like it will work fine. The hole has a nominal diameter of 0.363, some places just a hair larger, but should generally fit the tube and remain tight when installed.

For $4.79 each, I paid $10.99 shipping, so I might as well buy 3. Same shipping price. So for $25.36 I got 3 of them to the door, or it came to $8.45 each total price. Still cheaper than some other places.

I'm sending it. Get it? "sending" it? Anyway, here's a couple of pics to show you the real differences. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Jeg's sock, even if it is a tad longer.

Delco is on top here. You can see the slits forming "fingers" of sorts for the Jeg's unit while the Delco is pretty concentric.
TS1000 fuel tank sock 3.JPG

The Jeg's unit is 11/16" longer, but not enough to hurt. (That's what she said)
TS1000 fuel tank sock 1.JPG

TS1000 fuel tank sock 2.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
that's one thing I've never understood, why can't you just slap on a similar size sock? it's there for filtering right? what does a larger sock matter?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
that's one thing I've never understood, why can't you just slap on a similar size sock? it's there for filtering right? what does a larger sock matter?
Filtration 101 basically states the larger the filter of the same filtration ability, the more crap you can filter out of a given volume before d/p increases across the filter. But you're the only one talking about whether the larger sock matters.

In this instance, it was only a comparison between the Jeg's version I ended up buying, which is readily available, to the now unobtanium TS1000 Delco sock that most G-bodies came with. Just factual observations here so you can decide if it's right for you. If the filter was too long, it MAY hit something and bend/kink where you don't want it to, and effectively lower the filtration ability of the sock. But 5" long was the closest I could find to the 4-5/16" long Delco sock. I've yet to find a 4-5/16" long aftermarket sock with a 3/8" pipe suction hole. If anyone knows where one is that's fairly reasonable in price, by all means, cough up the info.

The intent is not that using a bigger or smaller sock was better or worse, just that the Jeg's is close in size, shape and fitment and appears to be an affordable, and readily obtainable replacement for the GM factory sock. I've known many people just toss their old unit back in without replacing the sock, and it should be almost a no-brainer to replace if you ever drop your tank for any reason and you have say, 30+ years on the original.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I would throw the sock in the garbage and install a filter right off the tank. I can change 1000 filters and never once drop the tank for a clogged sock.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I would throw the sock in the garbage and install a filter right off the tank. I can change 1000 filters and never once drop the tank for a clogged sock.
You must have a lot of crap in your tank. :)

I'm the opposite. I'd throw the aftermarket filter in the garbage, drop the tank and restore it to factory condition if at all possible. It's all in your perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor