G Body Frame question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiorunder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2009
My Frame on my '80 Malibu 2 door Hard top is getting crispier as we speak. I am a bodyman and I know better than to try to patch it up. I have access to an excellent '82 Malibu WAGON Frame. The wheelbase, I believe, is the same. Does anybody here know if I can swap the wagon frame for the rusty one? Are they the same????

Thank you very much.

Nope, from what I have heard there are basically 3 types of gbody frames. Wagon, ElCamino, and everything else.

You are correct in that the wheelbase is the same, but the wagons have a different left rear frame rail to accomodate the side-fill gas tank.
You could make it work, but it'd be less work to find a normal 2 or 4 door frame.

How bad is your current frame? If it's just the typical rear frame rail rot, you could always just section in a clean set of junkyard rails. There's a guy on eBay in Cali that has them up all the time. There is also a fellow up in Canada that makes new ones.
Or you can just back-half the car! :wax:
That's why the previous owners of my friends 'bu tubbed the car... the rear bumper fell off... :lol:

I'm a bodyman as well, and I've patched and sectioned several frames...

Phoenyx said:
Nope, from what I have heard there are basically 3 types of gbody frames. Wagon, ElCamino, and everything else.

Correct. The Elco has a unique 119" wheelbase. The wagons have the same 108" wheelbase as the sedans, but the rear frame rails and rear body mounts are different.

Hey! thank you both for the info and here is one more question. What other frames are a direct swap and what years? Are we talking Regal, Cutlass, Monte Carlo, 2 and 4 door frames between '78 and '83 ??

Thanks again

i believe it would be 78 - 88 monte malibu grand prix regal cutlass any, 2 or 4 door

don't forget the change in '82(?) with the extra c-member mount locations...

i beleive the front frame horns are a bit longer on some 81-up cars, GPs and montes i think.

I know for sure that some have different front frame horns, but I'm not sure on what models/years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor