Gabriel Load Carrier/Shock/Strut, Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoReno2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2009
When I worked for Sears as a lowely tire technician 10 years ago they used Gabriel shocks and struts and the mechanics there always complained about them how they were junk and they all would come back. Ever since I've always went with Monroe or Bilstein. But that was over 10 years ago and they could have improved.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Most people cheap out when it comes to shocks and they should not. I'm cheap and I often cheap out where I can. Not shocks. I learned. Get Edlebrock ISAs or Bilensteins. There are other more expensive shocks that generally are not worth the money for a street car but. Often people buy springs when its really just shocks. Anyway some Edelbrock ISAs and inexpensive poly end links with the F41 sway bars and you will think grandmas couch that you have been driving turned into a BMW. Well ok you might need something better than 14x6s and cheap little grandma tires but you get what I'm saying.

Edit; Its mostly a matter of experience once you have lived with cheap shocks for too many miles and then you actually experience the same car with good shocks you will never do that again. Junk to brand new junk seems good for a while until you experience quality over a set of rough rail road tracks or potholed broken brick road or hit the inside curve potholes and experience the difference in harshness stability & road control. I have had Gabriels on other cars in the past and I am not saying they are junk but I know the quality of the Bilensteins and the superior design of the Edelbrocks. Bilensteins can actually be had at Autozones pretty reasonably. Not sure about now but at least they did run a deal on them for a while.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I've got the Gabriel Load Carrier shocks w/coil spring assist on all of my cars. I love 'em. They give you a very comfortable ride and I've never had a problem with them.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Qdub24 said:
I've got the Gabriel Load Carrier shocks w/coil spring assist on all of my cars. I love 'em. They give you a very comfortable ride and I've never had a problem with them.

X2 I put a set of Gabriel Load Carriers on my car yesterday. I only changed the rear, but it rides like a brand new car. I was going to go with a set of Bilstiens, but man I cant afford all of that right now. My has a nicer stance to it, and everything. New rear springs, and the load carriers...

upandaway84

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2011
Michigan
I may go with these for the time being, and go the higher quality route when I start rebuilding. Thanks for the input everyone. Greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor