Gas tank change on 1988 LS Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1 Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2009
I will be changing the power train in my Monte and since I will be going Fuel Injected wondered what tanks have been put on a Monte. I have a 94 Caprice and roughly the cars are equal on width and think a tank from a Caprice might fit.

I wondered if anyone has tried the change. A benefit is of course in tank pump for FI and also more fuel (22 gals I thnk). I don't like the idea of a fuel cell in the trunk and the GN tank is $157 shipped but then I need the fuel pump assembly and I am told they are not cheap...

Bottom line is I have a tank from a 94 Caprice so it will only cost a pump and straps to install if it will fit.

I am gathering the parts for the drivetrain swap and will start the change over in the Spring. I have a 4 bolt Vortec block (given to me--but has a spun main so must be align bored), I will buy a 4L80E, convertor and fabricate a twin turbo setup.

It will take longer to save and get the parts than it will to build the setup...I don't want to borrow for the parts and it will likely cost ~8000 so Spring is probably realistic.

Thanks

I would think if you are crafty enough you should be able to fabricate something to safely hold the big tank in place. But I don't know maybe their simply is not enough room between the drop down spare tire trunk space and the rear end etc. fwiw
If you look on ebay motors (sp?) one of the companys that sells the GN tanks also offers in-tank hangers add that with a drop in high performance pump made for the GNs from www.racetronix.com and you should have an almost drop in high performance setup. I believe a single Walbro pump is good to 600HP and you can get double pumps. Anyway check it out.

Find a tank for a 4.3 Monte since they're easier to find in salvage yards. They'll have the assembly inside that you need. Already baffled for the fuel injection. Take it to a shop (or do it yourself) and have it cleaned and leak-tested. Put in a new pump for an IROC Camaro and bolt it all in your car.

The B-body tank won't fit.

The B-body tank is centered in between the rear frame rails.
The G-body tank is off-set to clear the spare tire well.

Use the Turbo 3.8/4.3TBI tank like mentioned above.

have u thought about usin an electric fuel pump...that way u can mount it out side of the fuel tank for better access...cause if ur fuel pump dies changin it from the tank is a lil time consumin

Well an intank pump wired correctly should last no less than a new car. Probably 10 years and a 100,000+ miles. Foolish reasoning in my mind for giving all the benefits of an intank up to an out of tank gravity fed electric pump. Not to chastise your thought but think about it quiet, longer lasting, no crash hazzard out of tank pump between the tank & bumper hanging below the car or fuel starvation. Return setup allows for more consistant pressure. Lower cost to out of tank with sump or cell. Both my GN & my carberated 442 have in tank electric pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor