Gas Tanks-Best Place to get one? Other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I have to replace the gas tank on my car eventually. I've been tempted to get one off of Ebay because I didn't think I could get on anywhere else. But I see that AutoZone has them (but not available in store?), but I don't know where they are made or the quality/what is included. I'm also wondering about the other misc. stuff that should be replaced at the same time so I never have to drop the tank again.

1.) I want a quality tank. From what I've read, tanks seem to be either made in Taiwan (black coating, thinner gauge metal?) or Canada (treated/coated bare metal, supposedly better quality). I found a Canadian made tank on eBay for $139 + $59 (=$200 total). It comes with the filler neck, gasket, and locking ring. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260295105769 This seems to be the best deal, but what kinds have you guys used?

2.) What else should need to be replaced with the tank while I'm changing it out? I've heard of people replacing sending units, but I don't even know what that is for sure. I'm replacing the tank because it is leaking from the top (rust?) and because I've had a few other issues. Occasionally, the car will surge at highway speed and lose power, which I have assumed was the fuel filter clogging up. When the filter is replaced, the problem seems to go away (for a while). I've probably replaced the filter 2-3 times since I bought it over 2 years ago. The fuel pump was replaced not long ago even though the old one still seemed good when it was taken off. Also, the car used to stall right after I filled it up with gas at the station once or twice here and there right after I put it into gear to leave.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor