CUTLASS GM Parts Of The Moment- A Lame Tutorial- 307 Fan Clutches (1985)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Fan clutches. Not many people notice or even care about them. Except when they don't work. We can get into all the specifics on how they work, etc., but I want to keep this short. Effectively when things heat up, the fan clutch moves fluid chambers to "solidify" the fan into more of a lockup operation so the fan works to move more air. As the coolant heat drops across the radiator, the fan gets looser and slips more, and doesn't work as hard.

Anyway, there are TWO versions of the fan clutch that were used on VIN Y/9 engines across Oldses lineup for 1985. The OJ coded fan clutch and the OL coded fan clutch. Looking backwards, the OJ was used on a bunch of V8 applications in very late 70s up through sometime in January/February of 1985. Exactly when that happened, I don't know. Then the OL code took its place. Now, the parts book shows the latest number of 22049774 which covers OJ or OL in the nomenclature. The OJ itself came under GM p/n 559729.

Here's an OJ.

OJ Fan Clutch.jpeg

And the NOS OL one. My gray 85 442 came with an OJ, but my black 85 442 came with an OL.

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor