Gold Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliottw

Apprentice
May 26, 2009
north dakota
A couple days ago I went with my friend to an exhaust shop to get some pipes on his car and he also needed a tail light cover so I took him to a junkyard that is real close to the shop. So we get to the yard and they run a sorta tandem operation of racing equipment and junkyard. So I get to talking with the guy there about these racing only rims that they have and I say I would still use them on the street, he tells me he does too, on a 350 S10 with a 9 inch rear! He asks me what kind of car I got and I say a 78 Cutlass. He then says "man all the circle track guys here run g bodys" and he points out the window and every other time i've been there i've never seen them. They have like 30+ Gbodys just chillen is this little dip. I was totally excited and then he says that the racers just use bodies and suspensions and none of them have motors. This is all fine with me because I just want interior pieces and maybe an a/c delete if I'm lucky. I woulda took some pics if I had my camera with me. I plan on getting down there when more snow melts and going through every car there. I'll let you guys know if i find anything cool!

Man thats awesome!!! The yards here dont have a damn thing. We had one pretty big one that occasionally got some good stuff, until the owner got busted for cooking meth there. 🙁

*Update* I went to the junkyard today because the snow is almost all gone. They had some pretty decent cars and a couple really nice bodies but I was looking for a steering column and the rally gauge cluster and I happened to find both in a cutlass calias. The yard has to pull all the parts and they said they wouldn't do it today(lazy bastards) They also want to charge me $100 for the column and $75 for the cluster. I said I would take the stuff and come back for it tomorrow. I think ill call them in the morning and say $50 for the column or go screw because it wasn't cherry or anything. Do you guys think thats a fair offer?

well, I can say I see the gauge clusters going for $50-75. Steering columns I've seen for around $75.

I have a cluster listed on here for $45 in nice shape...and I can find columns here for about $40. Just to give you an idea on prices..

elliottw said:
*Update* I went to the junkyard today because the snow is almost all gone. They had some pretty decent cars and a couple really nice bodies but I was looking for a steering column and the rally gauge cluster and I happened to find both in a cutlass calias. The yard has to pull all the parts and they said they wouldn't do it today(lazy bastards) They also want to charge me $100 for the column and $75 for the cluster. I said I would take the stuff and come back for it tomorrow. I think ill call them in the morning and say $50 for the column or go screw because it wasn't cherry or anything. Do you guys think thats a fair offer?

Opps. I see now that you said you would call them in the morning, hopefully you got them before they pulled it.

Sounds like you already agreed on a price and they are going to pull it for you.
You've wasted their time if you reneg, and may loose a valuble resource for more parts in the future. You should have done a little research either before or after you went to the yard. If you are going to back out be prepared for flack and I am not sure how you can get out of it easily given the circumstance in order to stay on good terms with them.
But maybe they get it all the time and don't give a c**p. I am suprised they don't get a deposit for that reason or even paid in full.

You were probably caught up in the moment of seeing all those cars, thats understandable.

I presume the price is higher than normal because they are adding their cost to take it out.
I hate those kind of yards and don't bother with them usually but at least you can go and look, most of those kind of places won't let you go in at all.

79 Malibu-it is in Minot. It is called Dakota Wrecking and Salvage

jatguit-i did talk to them before they pulled the parts and it just so happens that I had a family emergency and wasnt able to buy the parts. they didnt give me any trouble.

O. D. Showtime- My brother lives in Regina and I usually make a couple trips up there a year. The next one I have planned is sometime this summer. If and when I still need the parts and if you still have them I think I could swing a deal with you

[/quote]
O. D. Showtime- My brother lives in Regina and I usually make a couple trips up there a year. The next one I have planned is sometime this summer. If and when I still need the parts and if you still have them I think I could swing a deal with you[/quote]

Sounds good to me...what kind of interior parts are you looking for? I have access to a 78-80 (not sure which year for sure) Cutlass buckets/console car...burgandy color interior, an 81+ Cutlass with mint tan interior and I'm pretty sure I've got a pair of redish/orange lower rear interior quarter trim here somewhere.

My son just told me earlier he may be going to Minot this weekend...my neighbor buys US cars/trucks and sells them up here..he has drivers get them to either Minot or the border and then he takes drivers down to bring them up.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor