Good Buy? Tell me what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.
all new for $40 id buy it.

could anything be wrong with the cam or other things with it since its 25 years old?

It looks like there's surface rust on some of the cam lobes in the picture... I wouldn't use it.

The other stuff should be fine, and it still worth more than $40...

Honestly, I would not use that cam. It may be new, but cams have gotten a lot better in the last 25 years, and a newer grind will not be that expensive compared to the amount of work involved in installing the wrong one. as for the rest of it, it is a crap shoot. It may be what he says and you can then verify the specs of said parts. However, it may not be as it is represented too. For all you know the guy put the stock springs back in the box and forgot about it. 25 years is a long time. So, it is your decision, But as with all used parts purchases remember: It's buyer beware.

I'm going to have to agree with Brougham, I just looked at the comp website and that cam is no longer listed so you don't even know the specs. why 40 dollars may be a steal I would spend my money on "what you know" remember 25+ years ago a lift of 470 was extreme so there's no telling what you have there and surface rust on a cam only spells premature bearing failure.

I don't think I'd trust 25 years of storage either, unless it was hung vertically which it probably wasn't, so there's likely some warpage.

I do not think this would be a good buy. You can get a new Cam that you would know would work great and is brand new. older stuff could break or crack over a few days since it just sat for a while in someones house. Not worth it unless you look at it before buying it and it all checks out good.

thanks for the info. ive decided against it. mostly because its solid. my dad said to go hydrualic

I'm running a solid cam,
it works great, and gives lots of power.

But, with cam technology these days, hydraulic or roller is definately the way to go...
Plus, who has time to lash and adjust valve train every few thousand kms? (Miles for you Americanians)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor