Green Green Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

trindor

n00b
Aug 12, 2006
Hello All,

I'm from North Texas. I am new to the forum, new to G-bodies in general, & developed a new interest in adding to/fixing up/ playingwith vehicles.

I recently inherited a 78 Cutlass in need of a funeral by some people's estimate. From bumper to I'll be overhauling & replacing almost everything (for sentimental reasons). The only good thing is that when I am done the car will be finished the way I want it. But it's gonnas take time.

The areas of concern are as follows:
Needs engine rebuild
-260 that's been rebuilt once before
-300000+miles on it
Needs full suspension replaced:
-When I got the car there was virtually no rubber left in the bushings.
-Ball joints were replaced before, so that make it easier the 2nd time.
-Car feels like driving a waterbed at this point.
Has an electrical short that kills the battery over the span of a week.
-not a lot of money, just time. ugh
Not one thing in the interior will be left. It all gets replaced.

I am on a budget, but if any of you have any suggestions on upgrades/replacements/etc let me know. I found a good deal on a reworked 455 block and was considering that. My primary concern is the suspension at this point. Any ideas on updates/upgrades? If I'm going to do this, I want it as good or better than before. I don't plan on draggin' it, but I do want it to be a very fun corner hugging city car. (Not much legal racing options in my area)

Thanks all and hope to talk with you soon. This all looks very interesting and informative.

Take a look at www.dixiemontecarlo.com They have some nice "Hotchkis" performance suspension parts. Everything from springs, control arms, sway bars, 11" disc brake upgrades.....it should all fit the cutlass I think but ask to be sure.

Although the stitching wouldn't be correct for a cutlass, the monte upholstery kits should fit as will the door panels, carpets, headliners...etc. Just depends on how original or how particular you want to be. Might want to find an upholstery shop to redo your interior. That way you could either go custom or try for a closer to OEM look.

GM goodwrench 350 engines can be bought new for around $1200. I have a 305 4v in my 87 gp and it has plenty of power, or so I thought until I got my 350 elky! Kinda hard to imagine a 455 in these! Better get a brake upgrade!

Good luck with your resto/mod and welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around and keep us posted on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor