Grrr. Tipped To Death

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ok, I need to yell at the clouds for a bit because I think they're on my lawn.

Last night we decided that a take-home pizza for dinner would be a nice cap for the day. So as it was, I ordered the pizza online, and I saw a row of buttons for "add tip" when I paid for the pizza STARTING at 10%. Whut? No. Then, since we live in Bum-f**k Egypt, I got in the car and drove into town to get it. No delivery this far out. Anyway, I get there, and there's this "tips" jar on the counter. For real, B**ch?

Maybe I got used to many European places that paid their staffs somewhat decent money because when we got the tickets for our meals, there was the total Euros at the bottom. No place for adding tips. Because most places didn't expect them. Even though we did leave tips for good service.

If I'm being provided a service, like table service in a restaurant, I normally tip if the service is even halfway bearable. If it's horrible, forget it, but if you ask me if I want more tea or coffee, or at least stop by the table now and again, you get a tip. Now, my wife is way too generous IMO. She seemingly likes to feel a tip amount should cover a person's rent for the month, but I usually start at 15% and go up depending on level of service. I view tips as a reward, not an expectation. But I do agree that tips shouldn't be taxed since it's such a convoluted and nebulous system of trying to tax them in the first place. OTOH, I do fear that if tips weren't taxed, we'd see hella more places wanting you to tip for that "free" income. It could be a double-edged sword.

I know tipping's a personal thing, but I have a simple rule on when I DON'T tip: If I have to pick up the food myself, say at the counter at Five Guys Burgers, don't expect a tip from me. Take it out of that $10 you just charged me for a burger. Or especially when I'm driving 5+ miles from home to pick up your stuff, no matter how good it is.

Ok, clouds, you can move along now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The history of tipping itself is of pretty morally questionable origins, but it's gotten pretty ridiculous. The minimum 'acceptable' tips has probably risen 5-10% since COVID justified based on the fact that many of these service workers were getting laid off frequently due to the various forced shutdowns of restaurants.

But it's gotten out of control with every industry expecting 15%+ for a tip.

What's even more annoying now is when travelling to different parts of the world, even if tipping isn't typically customary, but because you're American, you're expected to tip. I'm a huge proponent of, pay workers a fair wage and get rid of tipping. Most of the rest of the world seems to have figured it out, but not here. Problem is, if they were to abolish the practice, the corporations who own a significant portion of the restaurants would (unjustifiably) use that as an excuse to raise prices even further.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor