GTA wheel fitment on Grand National

Status
Not open for further replies.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
I am picking up a set of GTA wheels for my Grand National. Was wondering what tire size works best and what spacers I need to run in the back and if it will look stupid or if I should wait and get 4 fronts. Im open for suggestions and you arent going to hurt my feelings.

From what I have been reading you need to space the back wheels because the back spacing is too great on the stock GTA wheel. Just wondering if anyone is running this setup and if they have pics. I am obviosly going for that GNX look.

thanks

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I like 245/50 16, myself. I would wait for 4 fronts, if I were you. I don't like spacers but I think it will look just fine with them. The wheels don't look out of synch on a firebird, and I doubt they'll look different on your car with the spacers installed.

Without the spacers it might look weird...

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
I dont think the rears will fit at all without spacers. I dont have them in my possession yet. I just wanted to know how much of a spacer so I dont run into problems. thanks

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
My buddy ran formula rims on a Monte Carlo without spacers, they were 2 fronts and 2 rears.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I would think just some spacers that you can get at the auto parts store. Don't nuke it; whatever the standard spacer is that they sell, use that one. It's probably 1/8 inch or so.

They will fit without spacers but you can obviously tell that they are the wrong fitments for the car. If you use any spacers at all it will throw off the way your eyes read the depth of the tire in the wheel well and it will appear to match.

Been there, done that. No pictures, though, sorry!

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Hi,

I run a set of 87' formula wheels (same backspacing as the GTA wheels) on my GP. I installed them reversed front and rear, with a 1/4 in spacer on the front. I probably could have run them the other way and just moved the spacer to the rear, except the lip is bigger on the rears so it looks more natural in back. You will most likely save money getting a complete set, people charge more for the rears since they fit our cars, just make sure you get small spacers (parts store kind). you may also need longer studs, but it is marginal if you are cheap/ lazy

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
thanks for the help guys.....hey stoopid what tires are your running on those. You are the second person that said that about putting the backs in the front. I thought I would need more of a spacer to make these work because the backspacing is so ddeep. thanks for the help!

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
I have 245 50 16's (same size as an IROC or TA). They look great on the car, since they really fill-out the wheel wells, and they made an unbeliveable handling improvement over the 235 50 14's on cragers they replaced. I ussually tell people it is the first changes to make to a G-body.

And by the way its StoopUd. Anyone can be stupid, but you have to be special to be stoopud. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor