have to brag on behalf of buick!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
okay, so maybe this isn't such a huge deal, but it made me pretty happy.... i have a manual switch for the cooling fan in my 90' Buick LeSabre, (aftermarket, redneck mod to replace bad relay switch) i had left it running in the parkinglot of my place of work so that it would warm up. I forgot about it, and left it running for an hour without the fan on. when i came out, i noticed that there was more steam the car to be seen. i promptly shut it off, but not without noticing how she was still running like normal with no signs of any problems. there was coolant all over the ground that had leaked out of the resivor overflow cap. i turned the key on, and let the fan run w/o the engine for about 3 minutes, the i start it again and drive the two miles home (and i was far from milking it) she ran great the whole way and acted as if nothing was wrong at all... she has 231,688 miles on the odo. I LOVE BUICK 3.8's!!!!!!!!!

I've done something similar with my 95 regal GS with a 3.8. ME and my friends piled into it and went mudding and terrace jumping through a field. I took no notice of the temp gauge for probably 30 min. of almost constant WOT. When I did it was completely BURIED. We drove it over to a dirt road and popped the hood. You could smell fluid but not too much steam. We poked the overflow bottle with boiling coolant in it and our fingers sunk into it. Car ran fine after that even after I let it sit and boil the internals

a couple years ago, I came across what I'd heard was the only weakness of these motors: the crankshaft.

I bought a 95 lesabre from a city auction, with a locked up motor, for $400... I remembered hearing they were weak in the crankshaft journals, so first thing I did was to pull the oilpan, and sure enough, it'd snapped between #5 & #6... put a reman crank into it with some new seals, and thing ran like a charm... still is to this day, even though I don't own it, i still see it driving around the city.

i've seen that youtube video and that is what motivated me to buy my lesabre, and every time someone from school makes fun of me for driving an ugly black grandma car, i race them against their cavaqueers and camry's, so them whose boss, then show them that vid. (i downloaded it to my lap top :lol: )

i've been blasting through snow drifts with it since the first snowfall this year, and it acts like their nothing, and the damned things handle like a dream in poor weather too!!! i drove it home the other day, from a friend's house who lives out in the sticks. the gravel road between his house and town is out in this giant flat plains area, so there are no hills anywhere and the snowdrifts pile up fast, and the wind is killer, but even on the ice, that car came back doing 60 the whole way. (yes, i know it was dumb of me, but the worst that could happen is i leave the road for a flat empty field, and i have to drive out again.) :lol:

now i wanna try it with a turbo t

Starting fluid. If you live anywhere cold and owned some seldom used internal combustion toys, this was nectar of the gods.

I'm pretty sure you could go up and down the rows at a junk yard and get half the cars to fire with a good battery and starting fluid. That stuff will wake the dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor