header caoting question/confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
so yesterday my buddy and i made a road trip from omaha to st louis to pick up a vortech supercharger for his boat, i had found a set of headers in joplin which put us 2 hours out of the way but we grabbed them anyways. the guy who sold them to me had them listed as zinc coated but they were silver so i asked him about that and he said they were actually nickle coated which i have never heard of on headers?? i was thinking he may be wrong and they had been ceramic coated but i am not sure. they had been used for "mock up only" and there were some minor dings and scratches but were apparantly coated after all of that, there are allot of imperfections showing and it looked like some slight surface rust around the flange area. i am confused on this coating, it almost looks clear coated but i tried to scratch it and it did not do anything to the surface?? could these be ceramic coated and since they had some imperfections just not look coated? im confused. i will post pics in a bit. either way they are heddman full lengths and i paid 100 bucks for them so it was a decent deal.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
nickel coating is kind of like cheap chrome. it'd be shiny but not glaringly so.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
megaladon6 said:
nickel coating is kind of like cheap chrome. it'd be shiny but not glaringly so.

Nickel is actually the first layer in triple chrome plating. A proper chrome plate job is copper (which is applied thick and polished to get a smooth surface), then nickel, than chrome for protection.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
so why do you suppose that they would be nickle plated? is this a finish i should stick with? i want it to look nice, they look alright and i do not want them to rust or corrode....

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you find nickel plating alot on nuts and bolts to keep them from rusting and to look good. the only thing i wonder about is if it will transmit heat into the engine compartment. either way, for $100 i'd use them, you can always send them out for ceramic coating later.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
thats what i am thinking. is the ceramic coating clear or silver? i could believe these were coated if they use clear. i looked up the web site for the place they were suppose to be coated and they only listed powder coating and ceramic coating?? they didnt even mention chroming which i would expect if they nickle plated stuff??

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
330901y.jpg

nxl06r.jpg

2l9pod3.jpg

35lau8j.jpg

2mctts2.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That definitely looks like nickel.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
so is nickle a good finish for headers? i guess worst case scenario i can use these until i have the car done and then order the same ones but coated from the factory? for 100 bucks i think i did alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor