Headers install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumariner

Greasemonkey
Sep 1, 2011
I have a 86 Monte Carlo SS and I want to install headers. I've been doing some research and seem like it can be a difficult task. I was wondering if the difficulty varies by brands? I'm looking into the Flowtech or Hooker headers. You help would greatly appreciated.

I put a set of headmen s on my car they worked perfect. Both installed from the bottom and work like a champ.

The term you get what you pay for applies here. Most of the cheapy headers fit really bad so that is where alot of the trouble comes from, having to grind something or dent the tubes. I have found that the more expensive headers tend to fit better, but I have used the cheapy headers and not had much trouble installing them. trouble can also stem from the person installing them, if you haven't done it before it may give you fits. If you have installed them before it gets easier the more you do it no matter if they are on different vehicles. If you have the proper tools to lift the motor it can be an easy task.

Thanks 😀

There not bad at all. If you need help I have a shop not far from you. If I can spare the time I don't mind helping

I have an 86 Monte SS also and installed Flowtechs on it earlier this spring. Both sides went in from the bottom, just had to take off the oil filter and the starter.

I am running true 2.5" duals behind them and not using a double hump crossmember. The drivers side is a hair lower than the other side, but I have not had any problems all summer long.

They sound bad-*ss when I jump on it for sure!!

Good luck.

Most factory header paint is cheap junk to keep them from rusting before getting to you. Get some good header paint and put several lights coats on leaving good cure or dry time before especially the first and second coat. Also I am a big fan of quality header gaskets that do not burn out. Read www.remflex.com. Headers that rust and leak suck. This is a hugh ounce of prevention vs pound of cure when it comes to automotive things. Short of that headers are a good bang for the buck product always a real gain in freed up power and mileage.

Thanks I guess I'll be ordering some Flowtechs real soon. @Mebe007 Thanks for the offer.

BTW I run hooker 2451. I had 1 issue caused by solid motor mounts but never had an issue running reg mounts. And yeah not a prob bro. Just key me know

Flowtechs on my 350 in the Malibu I use as a daily driver. They fit the best out of the three new sets I tried. G-force cross-member, 2 1/2" with Flowmasters and the tail pipes curve out and down behind the tire.

SAM_0111.jpg

SAM_0112.jpg

Deep sound, not too loud. If you dig the sound, spring for real Flowmasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor