help!! f250 7.8 superdesil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2010
ive just recently put a new slave cylinder in my 99 f250 and all the websites tell me to elevate the front end to 45 degrees to bleed the system. that would be over my head and im not sure thats whats wrong. it wont go into gear when i start it up or when im going down the road...reverse and first and second wont work and i grind going into 3rd but the other gears work fine. if i turn it off tho, it goes into gear perfect. whats wrong with my truck?

Um.... this forum is really for those of us with Grand Nationals, 442s and Monte Carlos hahahahha. Oh well.... :roll:

I will tell you how I bleed clutch slave cylinders. One guy up in the cab on the pedal, one guy (you) under the car bleeding the slave cylinder.

-Fill up the master cylinder
-open the slave cylinder bleed screw
-have the guy in the cab slowly press the pedal all the way to the floor
-the guy underneath (you) will tighten the bleed screw when as soon as they see solid fluid coming out without air
-repeat the above until there is a solid stream of fluid at every pedal pump

Make sure you check the fluid level after every pump, or it gets low and then you are full of air again...

You definitely have air in your system, and that is 100% compatible with all of the symptoms you describe.

Next time, tell people you are bleeding the hydraulic clutch in your Monte Carlo that you retrofitted from a Camaro to get more help hahahah.

Good luck

IIRC, the slave cylinder is attatched to the release bearing on that truck, and may not have a bleeder valve on it... just drive it up onto a pair of ramps and press on the clutch several times until you feel the clutch pedal stiffen up... you may want to check on the fluid level every few times though, as there isn't alot of capacity in the clutch master cylinder...

the reason it goes into gear when the engine is off, is because the gears inside the transmission aren't spinning, and can mesh up with each other, instead of trying to grind each other to bits...

yes, it would be helpful to say that you are doing this on a gm produced car(preferrably a g or a bodied one :wink: ), but you can see that we're a pretty helpful bunch! :mrgreen:

good luck, and HTH...
Darin

when websites give you weird or difficult info, GET A SERVICE MANUAL!!!!!!! really you should have one anyway, if you do your own work. there's no way the factory, dealership, or shop is going to jack the front up to 45*!!

ok...thats what i was thinking....but now my *cough cough* gm is still not working...i kow its not the slave cylinder now bc i tested it and its working fine...is there anything else that might make it do that? i mean, i was thinking about the slave plate but im not sure what to do now...my husband works on it and im trying to give him advice without letting him know that i got it off a website...lol...he has lots of pride...

how long has this been happening? did it build up slowly or all at once? is it since doing the slave cylinder? how many miles on the clutch, trans, truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor