Help! How to install a rear control arm bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Guys, I need to install the two bushings that go into the Rear Axle Housing on the top where the upper control arms connect. Anyone ever installed a set? How did you do it? It seems like a tight fit. I am guessing I will need to buy or rent one of those heavy duty C-Clamp like presses. I tried a regular C-Clamp tonight and I could not get enough pressure on it, so I am thinking I need something I can get a wrench on. Am I on the right track here? Thanks!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The factory Kent Moore tool uses a thick wall cup that fits over the flanged end of the bushing and a thick circular plate that presses against the other end of the bushing. A threaded rod passes through the bushing and you simply tighen the nut on the rod to push the bushing out. The diameter of the circular plate is important - if it's too small you simply compress the rubber and if it's too big you'll bottom on the housing. Reinstallation is the reverse. You can fabricate a similar tool using iron pipe fittings.

The quick and dirty (and I do mean dirty) method is to burn out the rubber with a propane or cutting torch. This produces smelly smoke and a sticky black residue, so be prepared. Once the rubber is out, simply compress the outer shell with a sledge hammer and punch and it falls right out. Wipe some grease on the outside of the new bushing shell and hammer it in place, again using an iron pipe fitting to press only on the flange of the outer shell.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Thanks, I went and rented a Ball Joint remove/install tool from the Local Tool Rental Shop. $15 for the weekend. I checked local NAPA today and they sold the tool, but they ranged from $150 - $300. Its basically a heavy duty C-clamp with some accessories. Looks like it will work. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor