HI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbmonte396

n00b
Jul 11, 2008
Hi my name is Matthew I am new but not new to cars. I am a CNC op and live in the buffalo N.Y area. I am 27 and just got my first Monte Carlo it is an 1981 just as old as me!!!!. I saved it form a guy that was gutting it out to make a race car. :cry: But I am trying to bring it back and install a Big block 396 with a th350 and 3.08's for the rear. This is going to be my fun car to enjoy in the summer and take to the track from time to time.

I am about to install the engine in a week. What headers can I install that will replace the Exhaust Manifold? I am looking for Shorty or Mid-length headers. right now I have a set of headers I got with the chevelle that the 396 was in they where beat to hell by the guy that installed them if they fits I’ll run them for awhile to save $$$

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Hi, let us know how the build turns out. I'd like to see a big block in one of these. I guess if the car is stripped and it isn't a driver, overheating isn't an issue.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
sounds like a fun project can't wait see it turn out

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I used to have an '81 Monte, I wish I'd kept it...

Your Chevelle headers won't fit. I don't know of any shorty or mid length ones available for a big block chevy. If you want them short, then you're probably stuck with manifolds.
There are a few companies making full length headers for a big block chev into a g-body, most notably Hooker.
Beware though, they take some patience to make fit properly. Two of the primary tubes on each side slip in place after the main part of the header is in, and they have to be laying in the engine compartment when you put in the motor. Even with jacking up the engine, you won't be able to get them in. I've put them on two big block chevy powered g bodies now, and each time I tell myself that's the last time I put headers on a big block...
You'll also probably end up having to move some brake lines around the keep them away from the heat...
Good luck, and pat yourself on the back for saving another g body from being wrecked.

bbmonte396

n00b
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks I will have updates on my car as a go. So fare the car is like 80% complete when i got it. it is missing every thing under the hood some trim paces and the front sets. the engine has a lot of new parts in it now.

TRW Forged Pistons 9.5:1
Eagle 5140 Connecting Rods
CraneCams 103052 ADV Duration 272 °/272 ° .515/.515lift
CraneCams Valve Springs
CraneCams Full Roller rockers
Crank is balance

I know they make shorty or mid length they list them on summitracing.com just don’t know if shorty are made to mount up the same as manifolds. ill look around and when i fined some that will fix ill let u guys know

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor