How hard could it be

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
I am replacing the head liner on my 79 HO.. I was able to remove the old one without breaking it just a few crusty spots on a few edges.

Should I have it covered along with the sun visors at a shop or is this something I can do . I'm concerned about where the coat hooks are and getting a smooth fit.

any tricks, recommended material , special tools that would help .

Attachments

• lightup.jpeg
    lightup.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 50

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Cleaning the board and recovering with new foam/fabric is not a difficult task most of us tend to do it ourselves. I had a crazy high quote (in my opinion )I on having my visors redone by the trim guy we use at work. I wound up covering them myself and had a local lady that does upholstery hem them for me. Trim guy wanted 125 just to hem them. Local lady wanted15 so I gave her 25. At the time reproduction visors were about $80 a pair but the red that’s in my car is not typically serviced in the aftermarket. Also mine were the early style that had a strip vinyl around them as opposed to the later style that is folded over on itself on both halves and then stitched together around the outside

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Decent video to show how easy it really is. Key thing is to use glue meant for headliners. I used 3M 38808 without issues. Don't get any old adhesive or you'll be wearing that foam fabric like a hat.

Headliner adhesive

If you have the headliner material already, then that's a plus. If not, you'll need to get some.

Not 100% sure what the color is you would need, however.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I don't even have a shop near me that would do a headliner anymore so I did it myself twice last year. Both came out pretty nice. Do a search on here you will get a few good threads. 'How hard?' The hardest thing is NOT letting it touch it self or where it should not. Because the glue is instantaneous. No do-overs.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor