How to center a 9in ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

spunbearing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2007
As the topic says, how do you center it up?

It is out of a 86 Ford truck, 31 splines.

I don't care if it is the same size as the old gm rear. This is for a dirt track Malibu car.
I just want to center up the driveshaft..................

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
crankshaft, transmission output shaft and pinion yolk all have to be parallel. draw a line with tape on the floor under the car and tie a plumb bob over where the pinion is supposed to sit and then position the pinion so that it sits centered on the plumb bob line and your set.

i am sure that if i am wrong, someone will let us both know. lol :twisted:

spunbearing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2007
ONE EYE said:
crankshaft, transmission output shaft and pinion yolk all have to be parallel. draw a line with tape on the floor under the car and tie a plumb bob over where the pinion is supposed to sit and then position the pinion so that it sits centered on the plumb bob line and your set.

i am sure that if i am wrong, someone will let us both know. lol :twisted:
Sounds like a good idea also to do, I do want to that is. Is have a tad bit of offset to the right side.
I will still line everything up but have the passenger side wheel stick out a little.

Were not allowed to run offset wheels, they all have to be 8in wheels and all tires have to be the same size. If I can offset it an inch or little more it will do about the same as a wider wheel on the right rear. I think.

Remember on dirt we never go strait line. I dunno if the offset will help, heck I might just center it up completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor