How to Grease....

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastEnder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2009
How do I (or can I) grease my parking brake cable and the steering components? I see the zerk fittings on the pit man arm and other steering parts. I can just hook a grease gun up and go right? Thanks for all the help.

thats what I did, my hanes book says put two pumps, but since I just rebuilt my front end with new components I filled them until grease came out of the sides and wiped the excess :rofl: (I dont recommend that) I havnt driven it yet but I can imagine more will come out, just make sure you get GM grease it should be red..

never greased a parking brake cable... you probubly can some how but have never needed to. as for your steering a couple pumps every oil change is good.

Using a grease gun is a much neglected part of maintenance, especially as fewer cars have grease points and mechanics are unfamiliar with them on older cars.
I grease my car a few times every year, particularly if it has stood for any length of time. Every grease nipple (zerk fitting?) gets attended to.
I have the car off the ground with the steering turned one way and give all the joints a couple of pumps, then turn the steering the other way and do it again to make sure grease has got all round the joints. Before I start I also check the joints for play, fresh grease can hide a bit of wear.

When I first worked in a repair shop (39 years ago, God I feel old!) I had to grease up an old Humber car belonging to a customer who bought the car new in the early '50s. It had grease points everywhere, suspension joints front and rear, driveshaft, parking brake cable and linkage, speedo cable, door hinges, even the water pump - I had to remove a plug, screw in a nipple, pump in ONE stroke only, then replace the plug - no wonder apprentices were called grease monkeys!.

Grease points are becoming a thing of the past, brake cables are prelubed at the factory nowadays, I'm not sure this a good thing, I have replaced plenty of frozen parking brake cables but that old Humber never needed one.

Roger.

NofoBuick said:
How do I (or can I) grease my parking brake cable and the steering components? I see the zerk fittings on the pit man arm and other steering parts. I can just hook a grease gun up and go right? Thanks for all the help.
Anytime I'm working on one of my cars, I always have a bottle of anti-seize handy, and that's what I use on brake cables. Step on the brake to expose as much bare cable as possible, then smear a thin coat along a few inches of the cable that's normally retracted into the shielding. Also spread a little bit on any of the guides as well as the adjuster threads.
FWIW, I've never had a stuck e-brake.

Bill

rustyroger said:
Using a grease gun is a much neglected part of maintenance, especially as fewer cars have grease points and mechanics are unfamiliar with them on older cars.
I grease my car a few times every year, particularly if it has stood for any length of time. Every grease nipple (zerk fitting?) gets attended to.
I have the car off the ground with the steering turned one way and give all the joints a couple of pumps, then turn the steering the other way and do it again to make sure grease has got all round the joints. Before I start I also check the joints for play, fresh grease can hide a bit of wear.

When I first worked in a repair shop (39 years ago, God I feel old!) I had to grease up an old Humber car belonging to a customer who bought the car new in the early '50s. It had grease points everywhere, suspension joints front and rear, driveshaft, parking brake cable and linkage, speedo cable, door hinges, even the water pump - I had to remove a plug, screw in a nipple, pump in ONE stroke only, then replace the plug - no wonder apprentices were called grease monkeys!.

Grease points are becoming a thing of the past, brake cables are prelubed at the factory nowadays, I'm not sure this a good thing, I have replaced plenty of frozen parking brake cables but that old Humber never needed one.

Roger.

its not that mechanics these days dont know about grease fittings. its the 15 dollar oil changes and the expectations of an oil change being pumped out in 5 minutes. its not the mechanics, its the system

Peter said:
rustyroger said:

Roger.

its not that mechanics these days dont know about grease fittings. its the 15 dollar oil changes and the expectations of an oil change being pumped out in 5 minutes. its not the mechanics, its the system

yah thats how the quick lube were I work is. they want them done super quick. I know 80% of them get hit on most car's. Also one thing i have noticed as a new mechanic i have an option on greasable and nongreasable items like ball joints and tie rods and ujoints. customers allways go for the maintenance free stuff that they don't have to mess with and don't last as long.

I believe a Gbody has 11 grease points, each upper & lower ball joint (4), and steering linkage joints (7). Aftermarket drive shaft U joints may also have a grease fitting.
My H body Olds has 6, my dd Nissan and my gfs Peugeot have none, my buddies Massey Ferguson tractor with a bush hog front lift has lots, too many to count.

A "zerk" fitting translates to "grease nipple" I think. can someone confirm or deny this please?.

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor