How to remove swirls from black paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

longhorncutlass

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2008
Texas
Any suggestions for removing swirls from black, two-stage (base coat, clear coat) paint by hand. I've read that Meguiars ScratchX is good. I only need to do this on one fender, not the whole car so want to do it by hand. Anyone have experience doing this? Thanks, Michael

re:

Mike,

I have not used the Meguires product, there are however several methods to remove swirl marks. What ever you use remember that you don't need alot of product to do the job. All you need is enough to cloud the paint. Make sure that you start your repair with a clean/new pad if your using a poiisher, low speed. By hand your going to have quite a bit of work to make it appear even. Make sure that your fender is not hot from sitting in the sun or anything like that. You may also want to wash that fender good with some dish soap and water and remove any wax/polishing compound previously put on the fender before you start. Slow is the best way to go with this, also make sure that the products that you use are for clear coat finishes. Sounds like either the wrong product was used or maybe the buffer used had a contaminated pad on it. Good luck

Thanks, Soba! Since the time of my original post in July, I've had a friend help me to remove the swirls and together, we did a pretty good job. Thanks, Michael

re:

No problem, I'm kinda the new guy here and I hate to see a post go with no answers. I never realized it was that old. Glad that you got it worked out though... Have a great Holiday!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor