HVAC guys i have a question

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So when we built our house we couldn't swing having a/c installed with our forced air furnace. But... we did have the coil installed in the duct. So all we need is a the condenser, and obviously the pipe and wiring. My question is what unit should I get? We only need a 2 ton unit, which will match our coil, and because our house is spray foamed and very tight. I've been checking out the Goodman GSX160241. Thoughts?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Goodman, although on the lower part of the cost scale (plus or minus 1200 bucks for the model you mentioned), isn't a terrible choice of brands. Runs 14-16 SEER, which 13-26 is the typical scale for "efficient" HVAC condensers. So it's closer to the bottom of that scale. Not that it's a bad thing. To get higher SEER, means more $$ upfront, so in reality, what will you pay for overall? If electricity rates skyrocket, maybe think higher SEER ratings? I wouldn't go just by that, however. Overall reliability is the key here, I think.

They run copper tubing so that's good, too. They're generally pretty reliable units. I want to say they have a very good warranty on the compressors, although I haven't seen any specifics on that lately. It was like 2 years replacement, and 10 year major component warranty. Not sure if they still offer that.

We still have the same old 2.5 ton Goodman that was installed when the house was built in 2004. Albeit the compressor was replaced under warranty in 2007, haven't had an issue other than an evaporator change out (under "special" warranty- again, bad design), a condenser fan motor, a GE start capacitor and one heater element switch (bad design, new design got installed) over the 17 years. So other than filters, I've spent about $300 in maintenance costs and doing all but the warranty work myself. I've been meaning to get around to replacing the unit with a more efficient unit, but haven't felt the need to. It ain't flashy, but it works.

When it came to A/C units, it used to make a difference on which brand and price range you considered. Not so much anymore. Sure, Trane and Carrier are some of your "top" brands and you pay accordingly, but they ain't what they used to be. They all seem to have their plus and minuses.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I don't need a premium unit, but don't want bottom shelf merely for the reliability standpoint. Given that our whole house only needs a 2 ton unit, and I was able to keep it at 70° last summer with two 110v window units, I don't think I'd ever recover the price difference from a more expensive unit given how much electricity it would save us.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I don't need a premium unit, but don't want bottom shelf merely for the reliability standpoint. Given that our whole house only needs a 2 ton unit, and I was able to keep it at 70° last summer with two 110v window units, I don't think I'd ever recover the price difference from a more expensive unit given how much electricity it would save us.
Your last sentence was key. You have to evaluate what your future costs may be to determine if it's worth it. Whatever brand you choose, make sure if you're doing the install, that you check warranties closely. Some mfrs. won't warranty stuff that a consumer installs. Has to be a "professional". Not sure about NY laws concerning warranties, so there may be other things to look for as far as that goes.

I didn't mean to sound like Goodman is a bottom shelf unit. I'm merely stating that although it's not considered a top-tier unit, it's not junk either. For the price point, it's a pretty good unit overall. I'm sure they've got some improvement built into them since they built ours, so it's still a good value for the initial cost outlay. Goodman is a decent choice.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Goodman is a good mid range unit.

Like already stated you pay for SEER. But with a well insulated structure, you can go a long way with less.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have a Goodman furnace and central air in my house. It is only a year old, but good so far. Had Lenex stuff before, witch was good and trouble free since we bought the place. Only thing with Lenex I replaced the condenser fan motor and a ballast and a exhaust blower in the 8 years we lived here. It was old when we moved in. Some day my shop is going to get the old units.

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Thank guys I appreciate it. From my research you're all confirming what I've read so far. Goodman has a cheaper unit even, but for one step up in SEER figuring they might use better parts. Think that's the one I'll go for.
As far as installing, I will do part of it. Get the pad poured, run the lines and wiring, then let my buddy who does it for a living come over for an hour and finish it up. He's been extremely busy and helped me so much in the last several years I didn't want to bother him with a million questions.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My advice ? Make 1000% sure you have a match from compressor to air handler. Ive had AC in my house for close to 17 years. Two years ago the compressor for the upstairs needed to be replaced. The housing started to rot out so we had the original guy that put the system in install a new one. Long story short, right after he installed the new outside unit the upstairs of my house never really felt cool. Theres my daughters bedroom, office area and bathroom up there. In the hottest months of the Summer my daughter had to use a fan in front of her bed just so it would be cool enough to sleep. Meanwhile my downstairs was fine.
We called the installer back multiple times and of course he claimed there was nothing wrong. We had the thermostat too low, it was too hot out and all houses were having a hard time... all BS. It was working fine until he changed the compressor.
I go on a forum and asked for some opinions and just about every reply said the guy mismatched the new hi efficiency compressor to the older air handler.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor