Status
Not open for further replies.

Tancrède

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2008
Quebec Canada
--------
Hi

Water is coming inside the car, and i need to take-out permanently the climatisation system. Can i do that without providing the car of other important pieces ?????
Because the external pannel of metal, rear the motor, have some rust and small holes, that i have to repair, of course.

Also, i need pictures of all the tubes connecting to the carbu.... Rochester, 267 V8, because i think that some tubes are not in their good position, having problem to tune carbu......

Thanks infinitly

Tancrède

Sorry, usually write in french

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Ok, the way I read this is your getting water in the car, and its coming from the a/c heater box in the firewall.

Yes, you can take it out with no problems affecting the rest of the car.

You have 2 options.

1. Take it out, clean everything, reinstall it with a new gasket seal, then use seam sealer to reseal the heater box/a/c box back in place.

2. Take it out, and get a heater box blockoff plate. Install it, and seal it up.

The reason your probably getting water in your car is that the sealer that is used by the factory to seal the box in the firewall dries out and cracks over time. This allows water to seep into the interior. The heater box or a/c box also has a drain that becomes plugged up with debris.

Taking it out, and cleaning it all, reinstalling it and resealing it is the best way to fix the problem.

If you dont care about having heat or ac, take it out and put a delete plate in, seal it up and your done.

Hope this helps.

Tancrède

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2008
Quebec Canada
---------

Thanks hunter_alexander

I prefer to take out permantly the system. Dont need cold, just the heating.

I dont know about the seal, but there is rust and small holes in the firewall, and the only way i can repair that is to take out the climatisation (cold) system.

Question: Are this system is given the heat ????? Id ont think so, because how can a regular car can give some heat without climatisation cold system ?????

Tancrède

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
That box combines the heat and a/c in one unit. If you take it all out you will have no heat.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Tancrède said:
Question: Are this system is given the heat ????? Id ont think so, because how can a regular car can give some heat without climatisation cold system ?????

I'm not sure I understand your question, could you rephrase it?

Hunter gave good advice earlier, if you need to clean it up, just sand the firewall some, spray rust cure, primer, enamel, put your unit or delete back in and buy some high temp automotive silicone, they have this at the hardware store and it seals up nicely.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yes, the whole HVAC system is contained in the "suitcase". Remove it, and you remove the ducting, fan, heater core, etc. for the heat and defrost. To retain only the heat and defrost functions would require you to replace it with the non-A/C box from a car that came without A/C. Personally, I would just find the leak and seal it. To seal it, I would not use silicone. Use Butyl Acetate strip caulk instead as that is what Gm would have used when the car was new. I use it to seal firewalls all the time and it works great. You do not even have to remove the box to use it as it is designed to be put on the outside of the box at the seam it is sealing. You just push it in with a finger. Your local auto body supply jobber should have it. If not, Eastwood.com may have it.

Tancrède

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2008
Quebec Canada
------

Big thanks to everyone,

85 Cutlass Brougham, very good advices, thanks
----------------------

Just under the chrome metal of the front glass, the top of the firewall was rust and had some holes, i sealed very good.

But beside the box system A/C, on the firewall, very very bad position, no place to repair, the old seal stuff is no more good.
So it seem that, only for that, i have to take out, seem to be a very big job, the A/C system.

But when the system will be back in place, seal-it will be almost impossible, there is not enought space to put the new seal stuff.
The original seal was surely put before the motor (V8) was placed.

Is there some tricks ?????????????

Tancrède

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
My AC was leaking through the firewall two years ago, all I did was clean up around it, knock off the old crusty seal, sand/prime/paint around it, and put automotive silicone in it. Its 5$, and it hasn't leaked since then. I just checked it and there is no cracks in it at all. Maybe in the cold it isn't as good but it worked fine for me.

Tancrède

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2008
Quebec Canada
Hi

I put some silicone seal on one deteriored place of the black Box system A/C and it seem that no more water is coming inside the car on that side(passenger side tought)

On the opposite side, it seem that i have to take out the wiper system and his motor, to find the problem and put some seal stuff at the right place(s).

Tancrède

Tancrède

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2008
Quebec Canada
Hi

Very touch my freind's Cutlass

Finally, after one hour, testing with the water hose, i find that water come from 2 places of the chauffeur side.

The stand of the Mototr wiper is connected (solded) to the firewall. Between this stand and the firewall, GM put some seal stuff, but left a hole for drain the water who come by the black plastic drain where the pivot of wipers is holding.

But with time the metal of the firewall at this place rust and who know the rest of the story.
So i will put a big amount of seal overthere. The water will drain anyway, little bit further.

At the same big plastic drain the water is going to the firewall, by the hose who alimented the washer jet for the front glass. Water is going down and fall on the firewall and water go inside the car by some cables who go inside ther car, in the dash somewhere.
So i will put seal and block this link

Tancrède

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor