I wish I had money!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I just took a look at a 454 SS Silverado. It only had around 80000 miles and looks really clean. The one bad thing about it is that the engine is blown but there is one that is included that needs rebuilt. It has a freshly rebuilt trans and a 3.42 limited slip rear that has recently been rebuilt. This thing had no rust at all which is very unusual for Ohio. I have no idea if it was worth the 5 grand he wanted with the blown motor, but I would still take it if I had the money. One thing that is good is that he already pulled the motor, I am assuming that is the one that needs rebuilt. It did not say what exactly happened to the engine, so who knows if it can be used.

i had a 350 ss stock in high school that i took out on a test drive and a friend had one of the 454 trucks that he bragged about constantly. so we drove over to his house and went to a desolate stretch of road where we had a 1/4 mile marked out and i stomped his a$$ repeatedly. he took me about a 1/2 a truck off the line then i drove passed him like he was tied to a stump.

those trucks were not as bad as the could have been if GM did not put a toned down motor in them

It's a future collectible, but not that good a vehicle overall. The SVT Lightning is the better truck from that time, but even the old Lightning (Early 90's with 351 Windsor) would have a hard time keeping up with a base model 5.3 liter Silverado of today, and the SS 454 would get outright smoked by it. I can think of better ways to spend $5k on an interesting vehicle. By the time you build an engine and fix the other things that are wrong that you can't see because it does not run, you will be close to $10k in the hole, which is more than a nice one in the first place. In G body terms, the SS454 is like the Cutlass 442--looks cool, but is slower than an average new subcompact when left stock.

A buddy of mine had one when we were in college. He had done a rear gears, exhaust, K&N filter, and a chip upgrade. My '87 stock 5.0 coupe would consistantly walk away from him. His truck was loud and seemed fast when you were in it ... but when you saw it lined up against something else, you saw how slow it actually was.

I know how slow they are but I just love those trucks! That one was just in such great condition, I wish I had it.

Wolf001 said:
I taught they were faster then that!!! I'm suprised!!!

It is pretty much exactly like performance versions of the Gbodys. They looked like they were pretty damn fast but you were disappointed when you got behind the wheel. The difference is there is not much potential for the Gbody V8 engines, but I am pretty sure the 454 has plenty of potential of making it as fast as it looks.

True, it's no hot rod, but talk about the perfect truck for towing...
454, TH400, and a 14 bolt... all wrapped up in a nice looking package. I almost bought one a couple years ago, and I wish that I had...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor