im haveing a brain fart what rear came

Status
Not open for further replies.

montecarlo1985sc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2007
what rear came in the 85 sc i i know it has a 2.41.1 gearing in it but
i cant rember the if it a 7.2 7.5 or7.62 i cant rember i have redone so many ss and they had the 8.5 limited slip

montecarlo1985sc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2007
thanks

thanks for the info i have 8.5 limited slip i just have to mesure it because cant you take a 8.5 out of a caprice cop car and change the brackets

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
No SS's came from the factory with an 8.5 rear. The only way they have an 8.5 is if someone swapped one in.

montecarlo1985sc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2007
i have had 2

i have had to that had the 8.5 in them with the limited slip tag still atached and they were 88s thats all i know because i had to order the gears and i had to order them for the 8.5

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
Re: i have had 2

montecarlo1985sc said:
i have had to that had the 8.5 in them with the limited slip tag still atached and they were 88s thats all i know because i had to order the gears and i had to order them for the 8.5

I'm not saying you didn't. I'm just saying it was not a stock option. People swap in the 8.5's all the time for the extra strength.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
7 1/2 in all montes up to 87, but the 88 were supposedly supplied with 8.5 rear ends. never seen one yet myself, but every thing i had read about them (from memory) stated this.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
ONE EYE said:
7 1/2 in all montes up to 87, but the 88 were supposedly supplied with 8.5 rear ends. never seen one yet myself, but every thing i had read about them (from memory) stated this.

It's 7.625 in all SS models. The 88 models were actually 87's that hadn't been built for the orders taken in 87 yet. They were just an overrun of production, no changes whatsoever.

http://www.montecarloss.com/SS_FAQ_1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor