inheritence and loans

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986montecarlols

Master Mechanic
Apr 4, 2008
Hello all, as a lot of you probably know, i lost my parents in the last year and well to be quite blunt I will be recieving around 25K which well for being 25 years old is a decent ammount of money. Heres the thing, I am less then a year from graduating with a shotty BA in history. I want to teach overseas if that is Japan ever clears up.

I owe 35K in school loans half and half are subbed unsubbed. What would you guys do? Pay off the majority of my school loans that i owe or invest the money into bank Cds, etc? I honestly have no clue what to do. In once sense I get my loan down to about 9K or I invest the money to have it around in case of an emergency. Id like to know what you guys think.

nate

I hate being in debt so paying off loans sounds like a good idea to me... But that's just me, if you pay off that big of a chunk of your loans in one shot think of all the interest you'll save yourself from having to pay as opposed to making small payments.

having emergency money to me is a must.
Also right now there is no simple investment that will make interest thats worth a dam.
I don't know what you are paying for interest on the loans, but CD's etc right now aren't paying more than a few percent and thats for longer termed Cd's.
So what you would be doing if you bought a CD was make 2 % or maybe a tad more interest and your probably paying 4+ in interest on the loan, so your further ahead if you pay off the loan.

Going back and re reading this.
IMO, put 3-6 months of your bills into the bank for safety in case you need emergency money, take the rest and pay the loans that have interest over 3% which is the ones a CD isn't worth getting.

I agree with NY87ss, put about 6 months of pay in the bank, add all your bills and spendings up and save that.

Put everything else on your loan. Everything. Paying back 10-15 grand is soooo much easier than paying back 20-25 grand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor