Is this worth buying?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Harris

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2016
Oklahoma city
I have the opportunity to buy a 1969 dated 396 block .030 over, factory forged crank, factory rods, domed Pistons, factory iron high rise intake and a set of 375 horse oval port 454 heads. The guy is saying all the cylinders need is a good honing and it's ready to be built. I'm assuming the heads prolly need to be worked, def a port job and some bowl work. He asking $400. If I can get all this for $300 is it worth the money?

375 horse heads would be closed chamber 396, not 454

375 heads are rect port, not oval

check the head casting numbers...lot of people think peanut port heads are oval ports....no real performance potential.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
375 horse heads would be closed chamber 396, not 454

375 heads are rect port, not oval

check the head casting numbers...lot of people think peanut port heads are oval ports....no real performance potential.

Sorry it was late when I wrote this last night. They are 400hp 454 heads from a 72 truck. I verified casting number 3993820. Not 375 horse 396 heads.

Sounds like a deal @ $400.00 - condition is everything.

Sorry I had the heads wrong. They are 400 hp 454 heads. Casting number 3993820. According to the owner, all the block needs is a good honing with a bead hone on a hand drill and it's ready to build. I'm assuming the heads are in usable condition but I would prolly go ahead and work them and have bigger valves put in. He also said he has a set of brand new rings for it.

My biggest dilemma is I have a stock bottom end sbc sitting in the car right now. Jasper crate 350, with 40k miles on it when I bought the car. Turn key daily driver if u wanted it to be. It's currently down to the block and rotating assembly. Sitting on the table, waiting to go on the motor this week is a set of ported 441 GM heads with 202 160 SS valves they've been shaved about .030 and a .015 steel head gasket to bump compression a bit since they are an open chamber head, 550 lift springs, a lunati 268/276 cam with around 500 lift, 650 demon double pumper, performer intake 110gph fuel pump, roller tip steel rockers, etc etc you get the idea. Just a good stout sbc hoping for 400hp on the motor. Built th350 with a shift kit and a mild stall, factory open 3.08 rear end. The parts for the small block are paid for, sitting waiting to be installed. I was saving up to buy a ford 9 inch with a 3.90 gear and a Detroit locker, so I would have a fresh solid combo front front to back. Then I saw the 396 on CL and I started thinking I could get it work the heads build it, sell my parts and my block with rotating assembly Etc etc. I would be starting from scratch. Car would sit for at least another month if not longer as I get the crank turned and build the 396. If I stick with my small block it will be running in 2 weeks tops and I can buy the rear end as soon as I get the motor done.

Only you can answer that question. From what you have said about the heads being cut that much and a thin head gasket you might need to get the intake cut to fit. Also make sure you get your correct valve train geometry.

Only you can answer that question. From what you have said about the heads being cut that much and a thin head gasket you might need to get the intake cut to fit. Also make sure you get your correct valve train geometry.

The heads were only resurfaced with a .010 cut when I had em worked. But they are factory early 70s heads so I'm just assuming they have been cut before. Cylinder head guy said I should be in good shape as far as intake goes. I don't necessarily have to build the 396. I'd be interested in buying what he has and selling parts separately if I knew I could make some money. But at 400 obo list price it's been on there for a week and a half and nobody has bought it. If I can get it all at 300, I'm just trying to find out is that top dollar for that 396 block forged crank Pistons rings intake and heads?

Sounds like you have all the parts for a nice SBC. There will always be other possible "projects" along the way. Sometime you have to learn to avoid them and stick with the original plan or you might end up with a project car that is always "in progress" and never moves...

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you have all the parts for a nice SBC. There will always be other possible "projects" along the way. Sometime you have to learn to avoid them and stick with the original plan or you might end up with a project car that is always "in progress" and never moves...

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Sbc it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor