is this worth the trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
ok so I have a Saginaw 3speed sitting in my floor. Is this worth trading for a set of new Richmond 3.73 and posi 7.5 unit or is my package too much for a 7.5 to handle or is the granny worth more. He also has a 8.5 out of a gn w/posi and 3.73 but he wants 900. I dont have 900 now. Also how hard is it to setup a rear end ive never messed with one

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
I've but close to 400hp thru a 7.5 in the pastr without issues, and alot of burnouts.
I also am planning on doing it again, So if your making 350 - 400hp you should be good.

Alot of circle track guys put over 300hp back on a regular basis with the 7.5
If you do break it, its a good excuse to upgrade :D

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
What cam are you running? One of the issues I would be wary of with a 3.73 in a 7.5 axle is the pinion gear engagement with the ring gear. As the ratio gets numerically higher, the pinion diameter is made smaller and gets less and less engagement. This is weaker than with a numerically lower ratio and would make it more prone to breakage. Also, it is more prone to break if it hooks up than if it does not. That is why a dirt circle track racer can get away with it. The initial shock load is less on dirt than on pavement with sticky tires.

As for setting it up, I would pay to have that done. Expect to pay around $100-150 for labor, and $75-150 for parts ( crush sleeve, seals, bearings). Doing it right involves several specialty tools which you may not have, and the savings between buying the tools and paying someone is not that much.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
is that a good trade though?

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Considering that saginaw 3 speeds are worth more by the pound, yes....

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Just Karter said:
85 is right, but the pavement circle trackers do it too :D

Well, my point is that it is standing starts with traction that cause the most damage. A drag car sees more of this than something running on an oval.

As for a Saginaw 3 speed, does it have the G body specific bellhousing and clutch fork? If so, you have some rare items there which are hard to find if you wish to run a manual trans. If it is the trans only, it is pretty worthless, so I'd say trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor