Junkyard Gold 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well I was out at the yard again today looking mainly for trim pieces for the Roadrunner project and a few plastic pieces for the malibu. Got all the trim pieces, none of the plastic, but came across some other kick *ss stuff. Found a radiator hold down for a gbody for 20$.

The big thing I found was an aluminum core support out of an 80' 4 door Buick Century Limited with a 3.9L. It was at the top of the stack and as I looked underneath I was surprised to see no rust anywhere on the core support which left me scratching my head. So when I climbed up four cars to get to the stupid thing, there it was polished on top with the raised "A" designation. Paid 80$ for it.

So don't pass up the four doors for those looking for one of these, they may just have it. Anyone know the weight difference between the steel and aluminum supports. This thing is considerably lighter, at least to me.

pics11-26-09030.jpg

pics11-26-09032.jpg

Good find.

The steel ones weigh 24 lbs, and the aluminum ones weigh 12 lbs.

You'll likely have to do some trimming around the headlight opening area to make it fit, but it's nothing major.

RatMalibu over at MalibuRacing did this one...beadblasted and cleares, as I recall.

a_large.jpg

I found those 78/80 centurys to be the most likely donor for the aluminum supports

I thought about doing the whole area around the headlight buckets and any other noticeable pieces of the support, but figured it would be a pain in the a**. Thought I would just do the top to match the cold air system I'm coming up with. I chucked Spectre's muscle car cold air intake, cheap crap.

12 lbs off the nose of the car! Think like when kids stand on the front of your shopping cart. Improves Launch, weight transfer, acceleration traction and handling.

Pat,
that was an awesome find.was it the top support or the whole darn thing?
Blake and Dogshit you have earned your titles and I look forward to your knowledge 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor