Kirby: A Real Man's Vacuum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
So, you say, how can a vacuum cleaner, that most domestic of appliances be manly? Well then, you have never seen a Kirby Tradition before! A Kirby is not made of flimsy, injection-molded plastic. No, it is made from cast aluminum and forged steel. It weighs about 30 pounds. It is not put together with glue, but rather with bolts and screws. It IS user-serviceable, with replaceable brushes, switches, etc. to appeal to a man's need to take it apart. No woman would want one because no woman could physically use it. It is also built to stand the test of time. I have known of Kirby's from the 1950's still working today despite never having been rebuilt. Oh yes, you CAN rebuild it. You can also have it re-polished to like-new shininess. My neighbor has one from the 1960's that is still used regularly. Mine is relatively new as it has a casting date of 1980. Even the impeller is made of cast aluminum, not plastic like wimpy new vacuums. I ask you, does your vacuum have a stamped serial number in the case? I think not! Can you suck nuts and bolts through your vacuum without ruining the impeller? Probably not. I got mine when my mom tired of using it due to it's weight about 12-13 years ago. They had $25 on it (with accessories!)and were going to sell it in a garage sale when I told them I wanted it. It is still working fine with only a replacement beater brush, while she has had 3-4 "new" plastic vacuums.

Yes, this is intended to be read sarcastically, but I do love mine in all it's navy blue and stainless steel glory. I had it gutted tonight to try and find a bearing noise it has had since I tried to use it as a wet vac. I decided to polish the case as I am VERY bored right now, and cleaned the dust out of the motor casing too. Much like my 296k mile pickup truck, it is un-killable. Then again, I need it to be as I rely on making things last to save money. Would I buy a new one for the ridiculous price the door to door salesman wants? No. Used ones are cheap and last almost forever as long as it is an older one. Newer ones have plastic impellers that deteriorate quickly. I had one I garbage picked in working condition ( Kirby Turbo), and traded on a TV.

One last thing: I was researching it tonight and found that the bearings are $7 and $2 ea, and also that it is upgradeable to a HEPA filter system too. I love quality products. I think Ill go to the flea market vendor I use this weekend and order up the parts for the rebuild!

i have a refurbed one that my folks got in '74. i just had to take it over for them to use, as their light, plastic hoover just fell apart.

they do still make kirby's like they used to-but they're quite pricey. they also don't sell all of the attachments they used to, like the saw(yes, saw) attachment.

a kirby would be the last vacuum you would ever buy, due to durability.

bill

The thing is, it is an appliance you will get tired of long before it ever dies. To me, that is what makes it so damn good. Plus, you need not spend even as much as a new plastic vac from Wal Mart to buy one either. I searched my local Craigslist and found several for under $50, and one for $25. Replace the beater brush for $18, put in a new belt for $2, and fix anything else that may be wrong and you have a killer machine for under $100 with all the wear items replaced (if it even needs it!). I do think I will have to buy the $7 bearing that seems to be going on mine though, but fixing it is so much cheaper than replacing it. I just have to figure out how to remove the impeller without damaging the belt driver in order to change it. The cool thing is, the impellers are interchangeable for like 40 years so they really haven't changed much in power from new to old. Plus, many of the features of newer models can be retrofitted to the older ones.

I gues you weren't kidding! I found this video on Youtube of the Kirby saw and drill attachments! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWZnM_fxFRg

If it is not a man's vacuum, then why on Earth would they sell these attachments? No woman wants a vac that saws wood, drills, and sprays paint.

Here's a pic of mine after I cleaned it up a bit. I polished it by first sanding off the tarnish, corrosion, and my mom's steel wool marks with 1,000 and 2,000 grit sand paper followed by Mother's Mag Wheel and Aluminum Polish used with a buff on a hand drill. It was my first try at polishing aluminum and it turned out better than expected!
Before:
l_99a72e6a8b7fb02a51eba2ea52ad6e27.jpg

After:
l_ed3d8e23d544ec87020a94c211a72f43.jpg

Rebuilding the Playstation 2 that is also in the pic did not go as well though...🙁

A lot of guys make some good extra dough just refurbishing and reselling old Kirbys on E-Bay. (Probably a lot easier to do than peddling the things door to door LOL!) My wife and I bought a new Bissell vacuum (Wife had to have the special pet hair feature of it), for $250 and I swear the only metal on the thing is the tiny screws that hold the plastic together, but she needed something fairly light as her elbow is not in the best of shape. (So if I bought a Kirby, I'd be put on vacuuming duty along with lawn mowing 🙁) I didn't feel too bad as those Dysons are a $500+ piece of plastic. The Kirby is one of very few admirable American products still being made.

BTW, nice restoration on that one 😀

-UT-

Thanks! I am not done yet though. I need to replace the noisy bearing next. I bought one today at the flea market, but managed somehow to drop it while I was walking around. 🙁 I think I will order one online, along with the other one and a set of brushes. That way, I can rebuild the whole motor and hopefully see another 20 years from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor