Leak up front

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowDrift

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2008
Ohio
I'm posting this here in case there are inherent issues with the GP - I'm new here. The last time I talked to anyone about this was before the internet existed (I think).

I have a leak up front that shows up when I wash my '81 GP or when it rains or anything of the sort. It's not a huge deal, since the last time it was washed or saw rain was before my kids were born (oldest will graduate in two years). It comes down just to the right of the floor hump from someplace up in the dash area. Are these known for a leak here? Is there a good way to find this leak? I'm unfamiliar with the windshield seal on these cars. Is it a replacable seal or is it urethaned in place?

Thanks in advance,
SnowDrift

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
How does the seal look on the heater box? Try running a little water down in that specific area to see if any goes inside. I dont think it could be from the windshield unless it was running down from the top, but try running water on that and look anyways.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
I got a leak coming from the top of the window ... drip lands right on the steering wheel and then splatters on my lap. Makes it look like I've just pissed my pants. :evil:

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Yea, if you look around that area in front of the windshield right on down to the heater box you'll see seams. Wouldn't hurt to put some black goo in those areas, might just stop it.

SnowDrift

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2008
Ohio
In order to get to the heater box, does the dash have to come out? I remember replacing my speakers way back when and it wasn't a fun job.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You could also try sealing things from the outside with butyl acetate strip caulk. I would check the steering column seal, throttle cable seal, wiring harness bulkhead seal, etc. After all these years, the sealants and caulk have deteriorated and will have cracked and started to leak. I would pull up the carpet and see exactly where it is leaking. You may not see it every time, but if the water stands under the carpet, it will rot out the floor.

Removing the dash is not fun. It takes me 30-45 minutes and I know what I am doing and have done it many times before. What I would do first, is remove the screen over the heater box inlet and clean out all the leaves and dirt that may be clogging up the drain. I usually flush it with a hose. It may not be working well, and then it may overflow into the passenger's side of the car.

SnowDrift

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2008
Ohio
Thanks for the responses. I'll look at the heater box and screen next time I'm able to do so. There's no moisture inside. Any time I washed it, I always put a towel on the floor to soak up any water that dripped in. It's definately on the passenger side, so I'll see what I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor