MALIBU Leaky Memorial Day

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Riddle me this ? Why would all of a sudden the hose on the left start leaking? At the clamp. Is it the clamp. ? That my friend disagrees with? Dez

Attachments

• IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Take the clamp off, clean the heater core tubes and reinstall the hose. Most tension clamps like those are one time use, but we always used them over with no problems. Make sure that the heater core tubes are still round and not damages from previous hose replacement.

Reactions: 1 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Riddle me this ? Why would all of a sudden the hose on the left start leaking? At the clamp. Is it the clamp. ? That my friend disagrees with? Dez

Attachments

• IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    866.9 KB · Views: 14

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Take the clamp off, clean the heater core tubes and reinstall the hose. Most tension clamps like those are one time use, but we always used them over with no problems. Make sure that the heater core tubes are still round and not damages from previous hose replacement.
When you say “ clean heater core tubes” is that separate from the hose. And how would I clean this as a newbie? 🙃. Thanks

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I assume they mean to clean the outside of the copper pipe with Scotch Brite or something to ensure the hose can attain a good seal. You can disconnect both hoses and flush the inside of the heater core out with a garden hose to be sure that there's not a blockage that caused a pressure increase leading to your leak. Check the hoses for cracks.

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
When cleaning the heater core pipe ends check for any holes from corrosion. Jr.'s steel heater control valve leaked like a sieve from rot holes.

Reactions: 4 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
I assume they mean to clean the outside of the copper pipe with Scotch Brite or something to ensure the hose can attain a good seal. You can disconnect both hoses and flush the inside of the heater core out with a garden hose to be sure that there's not a blockage that caused a pressure increase leading to your leak. Check the hoses for cracks.
Yes I took it off and Rusty colored anti freeze.
Popped it back on. And she’s fine. Funny how something so simple can create a wonderment hell!!

I will get the scotch bright and do as you directed. So if I pou the garden hose in the heater core. Where does the water come out. The second hose ?
First timer. 😉

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Yes I took it off and Rusty colored anti freeze.
Popped it back on. And she’s fine. Funny how something so simple can create a wonderment hell!!

I will get the scotch bright and do as you directed. So if I pou the garden hose in the heater core. Where does the water come out. The second hose ?
First timer. 😉
Yes, it'll come out the other hose or the port it connects to. Try not to get water inside the box that the heater core is sitting in, you only want it inside the core. The best way to do that is to disconnect the other end of each hose and make those the "business ends" so to speak. I've been known to apply spark plug boot (dielectric) grease where the hose makes contact so it's easier to remove later, but I'm probably the only one.

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Yes, it'll come out the other hose or the port it connects to. Try not to get water inside the box that the heater core is sitting in, you only want it inside the core. The best way to do that is to disconnect the other end of each hose and make those the "business ends" so to speak. I've been known to apply spark plug boot (dielectric) grease where the hose makes contact so it's easier to remove later, but I'm probably the only one.
Great advice thanks!! I will do a follow up as soon as I see it act up again. Thanks man Dez

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Great advice thanks!! I will do a follow up as soon as I see it act up again. Thanks man Dez
You're very welcome. It sounds like it may be a good idea to flush the cooling system, or at least drain and replace all of the coolant and water. It goes through chemical changes as it ages and corrodes different things in the system.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor