lithium bats

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlat

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: I've been asking around about them. The question is is if any of youz are using them in any of your toys? Any stories good or bad would be nice.
IBBY

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Not sure what size or quality you’re asking about but as a firefighter I can tell you I would not trust any of the lithium batteries that are not tested or qualified by ul standards. Several fires started by these batteries because they are unstable. Also I would never keep or recharge them anywhere in my house or connected garage. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I've seen the early iPhone 3 explode but haven't really seen too many problems out of stuff currently. I run a lot of electric hand tools that use Li Ion and have had them for several years without issue.

Reactions: 1 user

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
True if the items were tested by underwriting laboratory such as major brands there usually safer however a lot of the hover boards or electric bikes are not and there have been several instances of self initiated fires even when not on a charging station.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
I'm going to presume you're referring to Lithium batteries for outdoor power equipment and power sports type equipment? Not the Li-Ion batteries that are in every piece of electronics and power tool since the late 90s?

All my stuff is still lead acid. Bike is AGM, not sure what the factory battery in my tractor is. But it would be either conventional lead acid or AGM.

I've not considered Lithium in the bike mostly because of cost. They are quite expensive. they do tend to be smaller and lighter, but that really doesn't matter. Saving a few ounces of weight compared to my fat *ss is pointless. Smaller is actually a bad thing because now I have to find a way to secure it properly in the battery box.

The other down side to the Lithium ones is that they can only deliver max current for a short period of time before they start to get hot. If you've ever used a lithium jumper pack, you'll recall that they can only crank for a number of seconds before they enter thermal shutdown and have to cool. Maybe not a big problem in a lot of applications, but might get annoying if you put it in something that can be hard to start.

I think a decent AGM is still the best bang for the buck.

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
I Have ALOT of Li-Ion batteries which I use for custom ebikes and other small projects. Some are new batteries, some have been reclaimed from things like broken scooters, and then some I've made myself.
You can see the picture of how I store them inside our house. I have 2 double walled wood stoves sitting inside a room with concrete floors and cinderblock walls.
Its not that I don't trust them, and I've never had one catch fire, but its more of an assurance.
They arnt exactly the same as a car lithium battery but they are close.

Also what are you wanting to go to a lithium ion battery for?
if you are wanting to shave a couple pounds I wouldnt even think about doing it.

I would also look into car audio fourms if you are wanting to purchase one or wanting even more info. With car audio they use them because they have higher capacity and their volts can be drained further than a lead acid battery, but most importantly they hold a more constant/stable voltage.
unnamed (9).jpg

jlat

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: It would be going into a motorcycle and from the talk about them alot of people like em. From CCA to maintenance. From what said is they hold charge and last. Antigravity bats was mentioned along with noco and shorai. I still have not made a my choice yet on if I want to give em a shot.
IBBY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor