Looking for antenna options for a bad windshield antenna

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
My car has the original GM windshield which is still in great shape. The windshield antenna is bad. You can actually see the wire at the bottom of the glass is corroded and the corrosion goes into the glass. I really dont want to get into replacing the windshield and I am not sure I really want to cut a hole in my fender. So my question is if anyone has any experience with some of the "hidden antennas" that I see on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2340791698...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Just looking for some thoughts from those who have tried them.

Reactions: 1 user

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
My car has the original GM windshield which is still in great shape. The windshield antenna is bad. You can actually see the wire at the bottom of the glass is corroded and the corrosion goes into the glass. I really dont want to get into replacing the windshield and I am not sure I really want to cut a hole in my fender. So my question is if anyone has any experience with some of the "hidden antennas" that I see on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2340791698...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Just looking for some thoughts from those who have tried them.
I had a 79 Malibu with a replaced winshield (ie.) no in-glass antenna. If you have an aftermarket sound deck, there should be an antenna out plug with a short cable (about three to four inches) behind the unit inside the dash. You can order a plastic covered "shorty antenna online and stick it in the dash behind the radio. Buy a quality antenna and move it around till you get decent reception. That's what I did an never had any issues with reception, although am signalll suffered some.
Good luck.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have this style 12 volt interior windshield mount antenna in both my cars and it works well. I welded up the holes for the original power antennas to give my cars a cleaner look.
Car-Windshield-Electronics-Antenna-FM-Radio-Mount-Self-Adhesive-Non-directional-Antenna.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
How is the am reception?
I can honestly say I have never tried to get an AM station on my stereo but it is amplified and FM works great.

464ChillerTech

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2022
How is the am reception?
I love that you asked how the AM reception is. In all of my modern vehicles I get 2 AM channels, one local station (central Nebraska) and the other is ESPN. However in my 1950 Ford coupe with the original radio I probably get 6-10 channels on a clear night. I’ve always been curious if it’s just b/c the Ford likely has vacuum tubes?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor