looking for transmission tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I am going to be changing my transmission pan seal on my 83 cutlass with a V6.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do this easily and without getting transmission fluid everywhere.

also what is the best transmission fluid to use?

Help is appreciated :D

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Your going to get at least allitle fluid everywhere no matter what. I guess the easiest way is to do it is leave the bolts on one side in, but loose. Then take the rest of them out so the fluid comes out on one side. If you want to make your life easier for the next time get a pan witha drain plug. Also, I hope your changing the filter while the pan is off.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you can always make a funnel out of cardboard and garbage bags, but no matter what the fluid will go in all directions. what i usually do is pull all the bolts but 2 adjacent ones on the high side and 1 where i want it to drain from. since the pan/gasket usually stick together you can usually pull the single bolt and loosen the 2 high side bolts most of the way out. then use a long pry-bar to pop the pan down. with any luck the fluid will stay in one direction.
i'd use regular dexron/mercon 3.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
thanks guys!!

And yes, i will be changing the filter also. :D

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
HELP!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I installed the new seal and everything, following the directions in the box, and it leaks even more than before!!!!! :shock:

my uncle told me to put the middle of the palm of my hand directly under the pivot point of the ratchet when i tighten the bolts to avoid squishing the seal and i did exactly that. i filled the transmission and noticed it was leaking. so i tightened all the bolts even more and that still didn't stop the leak.

by the way it leaks right between the pan and the actual transmission, where i put a brand new rubber seal in :roll: :roll:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
did you REALLY clean the pan and the trans? i prefer to scrape them with a razor blade and the use a Roloc wheel or light sandpaper to clean the remaining sh*t off. and i'd use a THIN coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket, or just a 1/8 bead of RTV and no gasket.

kyhunter89

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2007
KY
redo it...you sure it was the pan gasket leaking...well if it got worse that would point to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor