lowering kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sids83ho

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2009
virginia
i have a 83 hurst and im thinking of redoing the suspension.i would like to lower it for better stance and more importantly handeling.any suggestions..thanks

I'm fixing to finish up the rebuild on the front end of my 80 malibu. I'm going with energy suspension bushings and one source tie rods and idler arm. As far as lowering, I'm going with a 5660 S-10 moog spring. The benefit of this spring is that it'll lower the front of any g body from .5 to 1 in. from stock ride height and it handles 638 lb/in instead of a g body 384 lb/in. Now if you wanna really drop that car by 2 in., I would suggest going with a F-body 5662 moog spring. Handles 707 lb/in and both the 5660 and 5662 are direct fits to any g body. I'll let you know how the stance looks in my malibu once i finish this weekend. Here's the website that gives you all the specs on springs:

http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

This is a relatively cheap way of giving your car a good stance without having to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a lowering kit.

thanks for the info,let me know how your's turns out.as you already know gbody's just dont handle to well stock

Hey new guy here, This is great info.

Now going with 5662's in front what would be a good Moog spring for the rears to compliment?

Hmm, you might take into account your springs have already settled an inch over time, so a spring .5 - 1" from stock won't be a huge difference from what you have now. It depends on how stiff you want the suspension to be. Also a spring that's 1" could be 1.5 - 2" inches after it settles and you could have problems with it being too low.

patmckinneyracing said:
a F-body 5662 moog spring. Handles 707 lb/in and both the 5660 and 5662 are direct fits to any g body.

oktobrlabs said:
Now going with 5662's in front what would be a good Moog spring for the rears to compliment?

This spring is too hard for street driving. It's more of a cosmetic thing and in my opinion should be avoided. A 300-400 lb/in spring will hold the road much better than a spring of twice the rate. What you're looking for in a front spring is road holding, and the softer the spring the better the tires hold to the road. A stiff spring, above 600 lb/in holds to the road worse but some people believe this is better because you can feel the road through the drivers seat (but it's really not).

(The best shocks to buy are fully adjustable ones, so you can find the point at which the shock is softest without hovering/wallowing after bumps in the road.)

Unless you've really thought this out or have blueprinted the suspension, I would suggest staying away from the moog 5662. (Note the much heavier front end of the F body)

custom442 said:
Unless you've really thought this out or have blueprinted the suspension, I would suggest staying away from the moog 5662. (Note the much heavier front end of the F body)

why would the f-body be heavier?

2000.malibu.ls said:
custom442 said:

why would the f-body be heavier?

I don't know why, look at the stats provided in the web site given. Maybe the unibody adds weight.

custom442 said:
I don't know why, look at the stats provided in the web site given. Maybe the unibody adds weight.

hmmm it shouldnt be... i would think the gbody should be considerably more heavy than the fbody, because there is a lot more room in the g-body not to mention the 400 pound bench seats most had.

2000.malibu.ls said:
custom442 said:

hmmm it shouldnt be... i would think the gbody should be considerably more heavy than the fbody, because there is a lot more room in the g-body not to mention the 400 pound bench seats most had.

I'm not sure how he made the chart, but the F-body springs hold comparably more weight. This might cause problems if you're buying them for a 2" drop and it only drops it 1" - not too far off the car's current springs. Then a nasty jolting ride would accompany it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor