Ls swap fuel tank options for Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro1013

n00b
Jan 28, 2015
I'm working on a 5.3 truck swap with a 4l80 into my 81 Olds Cutlass Cruiser . I have most everything I need but the last piece to the puzzle is figuring out the fuel system. I am planning on adding a turbo once the car is up and running reliably.

What are my options for a fuel tank is my question. I have found things about sedan bodies cars and grand national tanks for fuel injection set ups. However I am asking about a fuel tank that will work in a wagon with the side fill.

I have briefly noticed someone mention a Buick roadmaster wagon 92-94 tank will work.
Anyother options?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
According to the ls swap parts database on this site the roadmaster tank works on an el camino with the side fill. I don't see why it wouldn't on a wagon but I really dont know

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Elcamino tanks are similar to the two and for door gbody tanks that are the "pancake" (flat) style. Wagon tanks are basically cubes. WAY different than any other gbody tank. Elco's included. That being said, there aren't any fuel injection tanks I know of that will fit the same way a stock wagon tank will.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Can he use an aftermarket sending unit in his current tank?

Jethro1013

n00b
Jan 28, 2015
Im wondering if I can get away with just running an electric fuel pump. With the cube shape of the tank and keeping 1/4 full minimum would keep fuel at the pickup.

I don't want to have to run a fuel cell

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Actually the fuel sending unit from (I think) a 94 astro van fits just right in the wagon tank. Then you can put whatever pump you want on it. There is more detailed info on the subject in the wagon section if you dig a few pages back.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=53381 scroll down to page 2. I have pictures that show how the 94 Astro sender fits the wagon tank. If you need higher pressure, I think a Camaro TPI pump fits in place of the TBI pump.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There are some baffles in the tank, but not on the bottom. I've been plotting a scheming how to make an insertable baffle that will stay in place without soldering or gluing. I replaced a fuel sender on my 2000 Olds Bravada (Jelly Bean S10 Blazer) and it has a plastic cylinder that is spring loaded to keep it against the bottom of the tank and includes a cup under the pickup. I think the hole is bigger, but I forgot to try this out before I installed it into the Bravada tank (daily driver, motivated to finish a job for a change).

Fastmax32168

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
I installed a pickup and pump out of a c1500 pickup into my wagons tank when I did my EFI install. It required a bit of bending to fit. Surprisingly I have had no pickup issues in spite of having no baffling in the tank. I can run it damn near dry and it has no problems at all. Go figure.
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor