Lt1 84 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowtieheart

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2013
So after much searching, I came across this 95 Z-28 with a bad fuel pump and trans slipping second gear. No big deal, car came wirh a brand new replacement fp and had only 122k miles so I picked it up for $750. Long story short, pulled tje motor/trans/harness/computer already and took the underhood fuse panel out along with its harness. Will ppst some pics up tomorrow when I start the cleaning up process of the Lt1. Btw, ill have the car for prob another 5 days before it gets junked, so if you need any F-Body parts, hmu. Now my next steps are....

Get transmission rebuilt to handle approx 450 tq
Go through the harness and clean it up
Figure out how I'm going to run the guages
Locate a fuel tank for fuel inj swap.

By the way, for those peeps that have never driven an Lt1 and still bash it, all I have to say is drive it.... You might change your mind. I was able to fix it and test drive it before I pulled the motor and it has some decent power. As for my list of things to do, any advice? I live in Socal and would like to find a reputable trans builder.

Where are you located? and yes the lt1 has good power I think they were like 285hp stock but they had the optic spark issue which when it is working is an amazing ignition system. Plus the lt1 was made kind of at a bad time because it had the traditional sbc to live up to but before it could take off they came out with the ls1. They are good engines just not as much aftermarket support as other options in my own opinion but they look sweet underneath hoods.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my LT1-powered B-bodies. They had plenty of power to be daily drivers. Also, I never experienced any problems w/my opti's.

I've got another LT1 on an engine stand awaiting a rebuild as soon as I finish my BBC.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA36IMAG0005.jpg
    100MEDIA36IMAG0005.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 648
  • 0216081336.jpg
    0216081336.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 561
I've been searching for a gas tank set-up but can't seem to find one with baffles. A lot of people have bought aftermarket Montecarlo and Gn tanks but they didn't come correctly baffled and something about a vent tube. Where should I get mine from?

A buddy of mine did that same thing with a (2001)? Trans Am with an ls1 6 speed transmission. He put everything from Trans Am into a 85 Cutlass. Dash, seats,rear seats and gas tank. The only thing I didn't like was mounting gas tank in the trunk. The car is a beast!

A buddy of mine did that same thing with a (2001)? Trans Am with an ls1 6 speed transmission. He put everything from Trans Am into a 85 Cutlass. Dash, seats,rear seats and gas tank. The only thing I didn't like was mounting gas tank in the trunk. The car is a beast!

Spectra brand replacement fuel tanks for Grand Nationals are the only ones with the correct, factory style baffling. At least they used to. Been a few years sunce had to buy one for my GN. All other brand tanks I've seen only have what looks like a "pie tin" spot welded to bottom of tank.

And as for the fuel pump wiring, what did you guys do? Did you just use something like the Racetronix Turbo Buick fuel pump wiring harness? And what about fuel lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor