msd box

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
What is a msd box? what is it used for,why or when would you use one? what situation?

It is an aftermarket ignition box. It's capable of a stronger spark across a wider rpm range and producing multiple sparks below 3000rpm. You need a stronger spark to jump the electrode on the plug whenever you increase cylinder pressure ie., new cam, more compression, nos, supercharger etc. It will also help to produce a good spark at higher rpm's than the stock ignition can handle. When will you actually need it? You will find a lot of different answers to that. Some people will say that it will help on a stock engine, others will disagree. This is a very basic description based on one persons ideas, i'm sure more will lend their opinions.

I installed one on a stock 350 a few years ago. Made a big difference. It ran a lot smoother, started better, and was noticeably better on gas. There wasn't any difference in power that I could feel.

Now, since your stock HEI uses a module inside the distributer . And the MSD is basically beefed up replacement for that. Who knows if my original module just needed replacing. It might have run just as good with a new module (and that's about $250 cheaper than an MSD box).

I recently replaced the module in my Malibu (no MSD in it) and noticed pretty much the same things as I did years ago with an MSD box.

So, if you have the money to burn. Yeah, go buy one. But unless you have some radical 400+HP engine, I would just go for a new module.

If you don't have the skill, countless hours,time and/or money to tune your car to the inth degree a MSD type box covers alot of minor stuff up.

Also having a rev limitor to save you engine is worth the extra jingle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor