My 78 Malibu Build Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

78FLMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2010
Montverde, FL
Well, Here it is...My 78 2 Dr Malibu. My son and I were out joyriding one day (isn't that how all good finds happen?) and came across this car. After talking to the owner who was in need of cash to help out a friend, I picked her up for $475. The former owner wasn't sure if she would make the 20 mile trip to my house, but she did, with no problem, aside from a real soft brake pedal.

Here is was when I got it.

Photo_080710_002.jpg

Photo001.jpg

Photo_080910_006.jpg

Cleaned her up a bit, and decided to look at the engine code. The VIN said it was supposed to have a L6 in it. The prior owner thought it was a 305. the engine code under the alternator said SUF

Turns out its a L69 305HO from a 84 Monte SS. I wondered why it seemed so good of a runner. I think for once I made out. I am a bit puzzled on the Holley carb, as I never worked on them. I have a friend who says they are a good carb. I personally am thinking TPI on it...

Then I started cleaning her a bit...looks better now for sure...

bu1.JPG

bu2.JPG

bu6.JPG

bu7.JPG

bu8.JPG

I have done some more work, and this is what we have now. I think the mirrors are wrong. I took the Holley off and replaced it with a quadrajet. Even that one is giving me crap, so hopefully at next months swap meet I will find something.

bu10.JPG

bu11.JPG

bu12.JPG

bu13.JPG

bu14.JPG

Found a replacement dash in the local pick n pull for 25 bucks. Also got most of the trim. I love that place!

bu15.JPG

There will be much more to come...

Shawn

gbodydude

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2008
nice project,good luck with it.and keep us posted with pic's

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
Welcome to the site! The Mirrors are sport mirrors and are correct for that year car, ive got a 1980 el camino and have sport mirrors. Good Luck With Your Project And Keep Us Posted! Have Fun Working On It With Your Son! My Elky Is still A Father Son project, Me being the Son!

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Wow nice find for that price. Can't wait to see your progress.

78FLMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2010
Montverde, FL
Here's a quick update...it's 11/26/10.

Been tinkering with the engine bay. Went to a swap meet here (its every month) and found a few things...

newqjet.jpg

Grabbed this rebuilt Q-jet off a guy who was packing up for the day...Got it for only $40. Not too bad on that.

stash1.jpg

In the picture, you can see the new distributor with super coil, the Mallory wires, and My son acquisitioned the chrome air cleaner and valve covers for his 3rd gen camaro. The alternator is High output and the sport mirrors came off a 79 Malibu wagon. Grand total of all this...135.00. I should call this a budget build... :D

stash2.jpg

All my interior parts from a donor Monte Carlo...I think it was a 87. All I need now are the seats and the carpet.

Much more to come...

Shawn

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
You sure it's a '78? Those are '79 tail lights.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
You will need to find the top rear interior trim panels from a donor Malibu, the Monte's and Malibu's are different sadly. Love the progress so far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor