My car insurance adventure.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
So my annual renewal was coming up for my Cutlass. I was paying $560 a year for full collector car coverage through Hagerty. Had a guaranteed agreed value and all that jazz.

Well I had not really updated my policy for last 7 years...even adding a ton of stuff. So I sat down figured out my cars value for as close to a 1 for 1 replacement with all my mods and custom work. Mind you I do almost all my own labor..so just figured parts WITH RECEIPTS available. Called to set up my renewal and sent in a ton of pics and asked for my increase. Dude says oh no problem...you will have a follow up call in a couple days.
Get a call from the underwriter a few days later. They tell me "because it's a lowrider" the following has changed.

1. New premium is now $970 a year (figured go up a bit due to increase in coverage.)
2. I MUST have the vehicle professionally appraised and compared to 3 vehicles minimum of the same style, age, customizing to get a value for the car. I have to set this up and pay the appraisal and all that....
3. I must install a vehicle tracking GPS that Hagerty can have access too with proof of purchase, install and monthly plan proof.
4. Because it's a lowrider my new deductible is now $2,500 non-negotiable. Mind you it was $500 before.
I was like wow long term customer...ZERO claims on any of my cars through Progressive for as far back as I can think, no home owner claims and no custom car claims and this is what they want to do.

I called Grundy Worldwide. They asked what coverage I want, guaranteed value of vehicle I want, pics of the vehicle and where it's stored, pics of registration and normal insurance stuff. 48 hours later, they contact me back. I have same coverage as Hagerty, my guaranteed value I asked for, ZERO dollar deductible! The only limit is they ask for car to have less than 5k miles a year put on it. I put like 1200 miles on it in 10 years lol...so no issue there. $216 bucks for the year! Done!
Just wanted to share my experience as Hagerty is turning a lil shisty..even for long term customers...so soooo long Hagerty!
Absolutely ridiculous!!

I've had Grundy (Philidelphia Insurance Companies) for several years for both the 84 and 87. It's been around $450 per year for both vehicles. NO problems with them.

I've had Grundy (Philidelphia Insurance Companies) for several years for both the 84 and 87. It's been around $450 per year for both vehicles. NO problems with them.
Great to hear! I am pumped to have them and yeah same under writers Philadelphia Insurance Companies. 👍😁

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor