My new project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
My cutlass is now finished after 10 months of work. Now that its done there is a project i wanted to do for a while. I'm thinking of adding an Outside Air Induction system on my 86 cutlass. I plan on getting the same OAI system as a 1968-1969 w-30 or w-31 cutlass. I think it would help keep the engine real cool during summer and also add more or a denser charge to the A/F mixture, not to mention it would look real neat. Here's some pics of what i plan on doing.
img_8583-small.JPG

mscott68.jpg

07_1.JPG

On ebay, the scoops alone go for $225 which is the cheapest i found them at. I found resto companies making period correct clamps and moldings for them also only for $70. I plan on getting the scoops, moldings and clamps and buying dryer ducting for the hoses. I am in the process of making another dual snorkel air cleaner for the cutlass that fits the holley on there. the air cleaner itself is a single snorkel being converted to a dual by cutting a hole into the side of the air cleaner base and welding another snorkel to it.This air cleaner should look like the same ones they used on the w-30s once its done and since i have made one of these already it shouldnt be hard. The scoops will have to be either somehow mounted to the bumper,frame or inner fender to keep from hanging or drill a hole into the tops of the scoops and screwing them into the bumper underneath the parking lights where there are torx screws. Routing the dryer ducts shouldnt be hard, I will push them through the inner fenders and into the engine bay then onto the air cleaner snorkels and clamp them down using the period correct oval shaped clamps. I dont think i have to worry about turbulence inside the carb being there is a filter present. Lemme know what you guys think of this. Once everything is bought i will post pics of progress and such. This is an up coming project,right now i am buying another dd so this project will have to wait a little.

Why not go with the OEM ducts from a Cutlass? Figure out some way to mount them behind the grille and then cut them to put them at an angle so they don't stick out as much then fiberglass them up? Hard to explain in words really. Well the ducts run 180° from the rad to the air cleaner, so you could cut it at an angle, flip the back side, and epoxy or fiberglass them and run the duct hose to the air cleaner? Just something to put in the blender.

i did try that using a pair of 307 ducts and the scoops that mount to the rad cradle. The pass. side is a real PITA to do. Since i had a 442 dual snorkel on my cutlass (not my homemade one i mentioned) i had to use two ducts on the pass. snrokel since it was shorter than the driver side one. I didnt think it looked clean so i left the pass. side snorkel duct less. I like this w-30 idea better because i will have equal length snorkels on the air cleaner and will have enough dryer ducting to make it look neat and serve its purpose.

IMO if your going to spend that kind of money on inlets dont ruin the look with dryer hose. Check out aircraft spruce and specialty look for cat aero ducting shouldnt be more than 6-8 dollars per foot.

I dont know how long the ducting is on the 68 w-30s and buying those each for $40 and having thme be too short or long isnt worth the time and money. Dryer ducts are cheap enough and i can paint them black. I priced the dryer ducting and its 4inches by 8 inches for $11.99. I think that should be more than enough.

I have looked at spectre cold air "muscle car" intakes, the air cleaners look real stupid and the ducts look like they wouldnt work, simply because they have a rubber cone on one end making it harder to put on the scoops. Plus they're $27.99

I am running into a problem with the driver side,being the battery is right there next to the opening the ducting will not fit with it being there. I may have to try and move the battery over a little or move it to another space.

I've been thinking of doing the same for quite a while now.

My plan was to use 2 4" ducts going to the air cleaner. My idea was to use the holes in the front bumper as intakes. If you move the battery to the trunk, cut a 4" hole in the battery tray portion of each inner fender, and somehow attatch a 90* pvc elbow or something. Then route the ducts from the "Bumper intakes" to the elbows, and up to the air cleaner.

The only thing sopping me is moving the batt. to the trunk, and I don't really wanna cut up my inner fenders.

If you really want to use the "old school" intakes, i dont think it would be too hard to make your own outta fiberglass or something.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

how hard is it to relocate a battery? I'm thinking of putting it on the firewall where the a/c box used to be.

The trunk relocation isn't very hard and cleans things up front quite a bit. Would you consider using the openings on your front bumper and relocating your blinkers? I don't know what the legalities of this are, if you need lenses or can just have a marking light, but it would be cool if you could do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor