Mystery Buick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Was wandering through a local junkyard the other day and came upon a very interesting G-body. It was a Buick, I'm guessing '78-'80, and looked somewhat like a Regal from the front but had a sloping, 'fastback' and very short little trunk lid. It was really, really rusty (unsaveable) but sure looked like a cool bodystyle? Anybody know what it was? The only emblem left on it said LIMITED and that was it. Too bad it wasn't in better shape or I might have dragged it home!

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Yeah, I have seen those. I believe Oldsmobile made one of those too. Neat twist on our old favorite.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Even when new those guys were very rare, I remember seeing a few of them but not lately. There weren't popular because they looked kinda' strange.

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
There was a Cutlass Salon hatchback on Ebay pretty recently, I think it had a 442 or 454 transplanted into it. It was a sweet ride that just needed a little TLC. Man, I never have money at the right time!

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
There was a guy around here had a Oldmobile pro-street project half finished for sale. He couldn't sell it and took out all the race car parts. The car disapeared. I believe it was narrowed with a nine inch and some fancy drag front suspension pieces. It was $1800 when I stopped to look. Too bad its gone.

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
grandbonnevillecreature said:
I think it had a 442 or 454 transplanted into it.

No such engine as a 442.

Definition of 4-4-2 from the Oldsmobile Factory Literature:
1964 (Original meaning)
4: Four Barrel Carburetion
4: Four On the Floor
2: Dual Exhausts

1965 (First year of automatic transmission option on 442)
4: 400 Cubic Inch Displacement
4: Four Barrel Carburetion
2: Dual Exhausts

1985 to 1987 (Last of RWD 442s)
4: Four speed automatic
4: Four barrel carburetor
2: Dual exhaust

1990 and 1991 (FWD 442)
4: Four cylinders
4: Four valves
2: Two camshafts

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
That's it GP403. That's the car I saw. Come to think of it I have seen a couple of the four-door versions on the road before, but this was the first two-door. I think it was a Century Limited. Yeah, kind of ugly but cool at the same time. With a nice set of wheels and a few more ponies under the hood (perhaps an early seventies Buick 455) it could be a pretty cool car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor