Need tips on fixing body to frame mounts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
I'm replacing my rear frame rails and I ran into some problems... 4 of the mount holes on the body are rusted out
ere8yzu8.jpg

zutubusy.jpg

3ynuzysu.jpg

quqetu5u.jpg

I'm looking for tips or pictures on the easiest way to fix. I have a welder so I know that's gonna be needed but I was wondering if there are any kits for this?

My second problem is my bumper mounts are rotted too
ehu6a4as.jpg

sa9ype2a.jpg

I was wondering where I could buy these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
As mentioned they make repair "washers" for this very problem. I bought a set years ago for a '68-'72 A - body because they didn't make them for the G-body. However I believe you can but them now for our cars.

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
Hi

This fellow isn't too far from my place. I see him often at flea markets. I bought a frame extension and repair panel for the frame for my 80 Malibu. It worked great. It was probably 10 years ago and the extension was $125 and the body repair panel about $15 back then. I'm not sure what he charges now. The pieces fit nice and I made the repair on a Saturday morning.
Pete

http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Those washers are meant for repairing the holes in the frame, not the body. For the body side you probably have to make patchs out of sheet metal. The repair washers are the same thickness as the frame which is much thicker than the body sheetmetal.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
I had a similar problem on my car, the rt side by the spare tire hole was not rotted but it was soft and I didn't want to leave it. I cut the top of the trunk floor out so I could patch it from the top down, I then took some of the old washers from the bushings and welded nuts on them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 1,724
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 1,404
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 1,921

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I saw Conrad Lozier at a swap meet last fall, and chatted with him briefly. At that time, he was still selling his rear frame rail repair parts, but he said that he had a certain number of repair kits left, and that he wasn't going to make any more, and that when his existing supply was gone, then its gone. I believe his price for a complete rear frame repair kit (including trunk repair panels) is around $350.00 CDN. Hope this helps.

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
clean8485 said:
I saw Conrad Lozier at a swap meet last fall, and chatted with him briefly. At that time, he was still selling his rear frame rail repair parts, but he said that he had a certain number of repair kits left, and that he wasn't going to make any more, and that when his existing supply was gone, then its gone. I believe his price for a complete rear frame repair kit (including trunk repair panels) is around $350.00 CDN. Hope this helps.

I currently have some rails that came from a newer monte carlo so I wouldn't need the whole kit so I may contact him for the trunk repair panels.

Fox80 said:
I had a similar problem on my car, the rt side by the spare tire hole was not rotted but it was soft and I didn't want to leave it. I cut the top of the trunk floor out so I could patch it from the top down, I then took some of the old washers from the bushings and welded nuts on them

I don't think I want to cut my trunk since I have so much rot on the bottom end... Those pictures were very helpful cause now I know what the inside looks like! I need to purchase new bushing so if you remember where you bought your replacement I'd like to know?

rwd_pete said:
Hi

This fellow isn't too far from my place. I see him often at flea markets. I bought a frame extension and repair panel for the frame for my 80 Malibu. It worked great. It was probably 10 years ago and the extension was $125 and the body repair panel about $15 back then. I'm not sure what he charges now. The pieces fit nice and I made the repair on a Saturday morning.
Pete

http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

Thanks for sending his email!

Clone TIE Pilot said:
Those washers are meant for repairing the holes in the frame, not the body. For the body side you probably have to make patchs out of sheet metal. The repair washers are the same thickness as the frame which is much thicker than the body sheetmetal.

What gauge sheet metal should I buy?

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
I bought the kit to do the whole car from energy suspension. 18 gauge steel works the best it's strong enough but still easy to cut and bend

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor