New girl here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tail_Lights_Fade

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
Downers Grove, Illinois
Hey all! New girl here from Chicago (West Suburbs to be exact). I'm currently working out a trade for an '86 Monte Carlo SS. This will be my first real project car, and I don't really know all that much about G bodies yet, so I'm sure you'll be seeing me a whole bunch in the near future (likely with some pretty dumb questions :mrgreen: ).

Speaking of dumb questions: unfortunately, the engine isn't original and there's been some confusion as to whether or not the engine is an HO and if the transmission is a 3 speed or a 4 speed. Does anyone know how I can identify each? Also, if it turns out that the engine isn't an HO, how hard would it be to convert it to an HO? Thanks!

jimmyp618

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2009
Well the trans should be easy to identify, look at the gear selector and see if there is just a d if so its a 3 speed ,
if there is a D and another D with a square around it , its a 4 spd . Engine wise is a lil harder , try to find the numbers on the back topside of block. or pull a valve cover and run the head numbers. Hope it helps ya.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
if I'm not mistaken, the "H/O" was just different heads on the 305ci engine. And, if I'm also not mistaken, was the same H/O motor not used in the 80s F-bodies (Camaro's and FireChicken)?

I think the H/O heads just had more compression. And, they were famous for being swapped onto 350ci engines for cheap "hot rodding". The compression was a big boost, but power gain was less than exemplery because the heads weren't that great anyway, and the flow sucked.

But if it's originality you're looking for, then converting to a H/O setup shouldn't be too difficult.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
first of welcome to the forum, good choice on the SS too, now as far as your questions; no telling what motor is in your car without looking at the engine casting numbers, you can take a educated guess if you remove a valve cover and read the casting numbers on the head, the last 3 should be 416...these heads are a dime a dozen so some could have put them on a "low output 305" but it should be a "HO" if the motor is original, in as far as the transmission goes the quick way to tell if it 3 speed or 4 speed look at the gear selector, if you have PRD321 its a 4 speed, PRD21 it a 3 speed, i beleive 83-85 had 3 speeds. hope this helps

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Always great to see a female that enjoys GBodies :mrgreen:

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Did someone say "GIRL"? WOW, we haven't had to many of them in here! Welcome aboard can't wait to see some pics of your body,,,I mean G body that is~ :wink:

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
damn. :shock: ...are you single...? lol

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Hello,

Welcome to the board. Nice to see another person local to me. We are going to have to get a meet together for all us Chicago G Body ppl! Lots of car shows in the area so you can always find some friends around here

You should post up some pics of your car

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor