Newer S-10 Spindle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
Is anybody running the 2004 or newer 2wd S-10 spindles on a Gbody? I am looking for an upgrade that will not require 16 or larger wheels. The S-10 brakes are larger, slip off rotors and dual piston calipers. I know they are unit bearings which adds some cost but I think its still worth it to not have to buy a set of wheels and tires.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
those S10 brakes you talk about have rotors that are only 1/2" larger in diameter than you stock monte has. i dont see any real benefit unless you get larger wheels to instll larger rotors

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have them, they may only have another half inch of rotor but they also have dual piston calipers and will clear 16" wheels. i threw some brembo drilled rotors on mine. i was able to snag mine for 50 bucks at a salvage yard and i stole the rotors for 80 bucks new off of craigslist. may not be the best setup but if you can do it chep then why not? plus they make conversion brackets to upgrade to LS1 or C5 brakes and since you already have a sealed hub it is a painless bolt on to upgrade

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
78MC-BBC said:
those S10 brakes you talk about have rotors that are only 1/2" larger in diameter than you stock monte has. i dont see any real benefit unless you get larger wheels to instll larger rotors

I would think the dual caliper would make it worthwhile IMO and you can do it installed for less than $300.00 if you find a decent set used.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Downside.. more pads, cylinders....expense to maintain.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
the s10 dual piston calipers dont require more pads, its the same two pad per side set up. the downside to this newer spindle setup is the sealed hubs, if they go they are expensive to replace around 200-300 per side.

thats why alot of people for the larger brake setups reuse the stock spindle and cut down the stock rotor and turn that into a hub and that would retain the stock inexpensive bearings and races.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
78MC-BBC said:
the s10 dual piston calipers dont require more pads, its the same two pad per side set up. the downside to this newer spindle setup is the sealed hubs, if they go they are expensive to replace around 200-300 per side.

thats why alot of people for the larger brake setups reuse the stock spindle and cut down the stock rotor and turn that into a hub and that would retain the stock inexpensive bearings and races.

On a pleasure use vehicle ( read low annual miles driven ) I would think that the hubs would be good for many, many years before they would require servicing anyways.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have never heard of them failing...... with the fact that they are no longer a "new" vehicle i think they will be showing up in the slavage yards more and more often anyways. i would rather run the sealed hub then the old school ones. i also noticed when i bolted a set of wheels on my stock spindles that the bearing cap stuck out too far to put the caps on the wheels but with the sealed hubs they clear with no issues. another thing to consider is that if you go with the stock spindles and a cut down rotor as a hub you will add at least a half inch on each side so your wheels will stick out more then before, this is already a issue with the stock setup on my 17s i am running right now since i have air ride on my car and the wheel wells do not like it

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
srercrcr said:
Downside.. more pads, cylinders....expense to maintain.

LOL! :lol: :friday:

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
I have a JY set of front spindle/hubs/rotors and Dual Piston Calibers from a 2wd S-10 Blazer Extreme PKG. Not all 2wd PKGs had the desirable Dual-piston calibers with larger and thicker rotors (mandated by the FEDS for the heavier vehicles). I was wondering if anyone has been able to come up with an aftermarket match for these OEM Rotors? The rotors I have are marked E-10 Canada and show a MIN THK stamp of 27mm. I called several GM Dealers that said they could not match the rotors without a GM P/N and virtually all aftermarket rotors I've found listed for this application are smaller diameter and not as wide (i.e Thick). The rotors I have, turned nicely but I would still like to find a GM P/N if they need to be replaced. I was told that this set-up will clear 15" wheels; can any member here confirm this?
I did drive an 84' Cutlass with this conversion and the FRT. Brakes were
dramatically better

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor