Notching car door for spotlight.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My P71 Crown Vic got hit in the front passenger side fender and door. Thankfully I am ok and the car is largely ok. No frame or pillar damage. The damaged door still opens and closes fine but it looks terrible now and needs replacing. The odd issue I have is that my P71 has the somewhat rare dual spotlight option and its near impossible to find a passenger side front door with a factory spotlight notch. I got a white replacement door and need to figure out what tool to use to carefully cut out a notch. The spotlight manufacturer, Unity was kind enough to send me a install template PDF which is a great help. The factory notch on the old door is a half oval and has a special trim piece I can transfer over to the new door after its cut. So I don't have to worry about getting the cut super clean as the trim piece can hide some of it. Any suggestions for such an oddball issue?

Here is an internet picture to help visualize what I am talking about.
DC5688ZY.JPG

Crown Vic doors wrap around the front pillars. This makes it so that any pillar mounted spotlight requires a the door to be notched to clear it when closed.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I know what your talking about. My take home unit was 93 and later 96. Both had the driver side spots. No passenger side spots. Never had to deal with this. The main issue I had was the gears would short out in the spot lamp handle.

Any how if you have a template, transfer the cut to the door using a scribe or paint pen or sharpie. Never had to make the notch, but try a nibbler and finish with drum sander or small grinding wheel. The wheel used to sharpen mower blades is about the right size. Or Harbor Freight, ACE, etc... has the small grinding kit.

When you cut do you have to go through the pinch weld? You can fill void with epoxy, sand and spot paint with Duplicolor.

The other suggestion is contact local PD or Sheriff and talk with vehicle maintenance and see how they do it, maybe they will help you with it.

I worked for small town and if it were me and you stopped by I'd probably help you with it. Most cops are car guys, just be respectful and don't run around as a "Goober" or "do it yourself cop" and you'll be fine.

Other thing is practice making one or two on the door getting tossed.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor