OEM heavy duty springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

3G's

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2007
Taber Alberta, Canada
I plan on beefing up the suspension on my 78 Monte in hopes of getting it to handle and was wondering if it's better to go with heavy duty springs front and rear or will factory springs from an SS suffice? I found that the rear springs in mine have the same part number as a 72 Monte. In my MOOG catalog there is no heavy duty spring listed for mine, but there is for a 72. Would these work?

I'm going with poly bushings throughtout the suspension, boxed stock rear control arms and larger sway bars front and rear. I'd love to see my boat outmanuver a couple of imports around here!

Cheers!

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Go to the charts at the back at find out what seats the springs have. Thing in the chart with those type of seats find your springs and then find a set that have specs more to what you want. You can go with a taller spring with around the same weight or go with a heavier spring the same height, etc... the comos are limited to the partts availble. I ran a set in the front that were from a diesel gp i beleive, and wagon cargo coils out back and that lifted the car level about 1 1/2-2".

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If you want to make it handle, the stock springs make it ride too high. You need a good set of lowering springs from a company like Eibach. I have them on my car and it looks really aggressive without being too low. They don't ride bad either. Remember that over lowering a car makes it ride on it's bump stops leading to infinite spring rate and poor handling. The tires skip across the pavement rather than following irregularities in the road surface. You may also want to look into a complete system from a company like Hotchkis or Global West that offers specialty part to make G bodies handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor